BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be taking delivery within 2 weeks for my 330i. I am heavily debating whether or not to get the alarm. It's like $600 bucks including install. Is it really worth it? I mean no one really cares when an alarm goes off? Any opinions?

·
Registered
344 Posts
But it online and install yourself.

Alarm is like $225 from pacificbmw or circlebmw, it's a snap to install, plenty of DIY instructions around. Then you just have to take it to the dealer and get it activated for $50.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
JonBlaze330i said:
I should be taking delivery within 2 weeks for my 330i. I am heavily debating whether or not to get the alarm. It's like $600 bucks including install. Is it really worth it? I mean no one really cares when an alarm goes off? Any opinions?
I opted for no alarm when I ordered because I too felt that no one really cares when an alarm goes off. I had an experience that changed my mind...

My girlfriend lives in a house in a nice neighborhood. Back in November I was parked in her driveway overnight and some time in the middle of the night all four of my wheels got stolen. The crooks were pros and we didn't hear a thing.

If the clown nose had been blinking there is a chance they would not have attacked my car. If the alarm had gone off that probably would have scared them away. I am sure that I would have heard the alarm and may have been able to catch them, scare them away, or at the very least call the cops right then rather than in the morning.

Order from Circle or Pacific and install it yourself. It will take you under an hour. My dealer charged me less than $60 to activate it and they did it while I waited one morning. If you're nice to your sales consultant you may be able to get them to do it for free when your car arrives.

No one pays attention to other people's alarms. I listen for mine.

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
I have had my 330ci for 6 weeks now and have no alarm. I do have the clown nose working however which should scare off all but the bold ones. My insurance Company so far has not raised my premiums compared to the 528 I traded that had the alarm. When and if they raise the premium, I will take appropriate action.

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
I requested through my dealer the Tech Center in Spartanberg program the Clown Nose to blink when car is locked. Also requested they program the doors to lock automatically at 5 MPH. and daytime running lights

These are not prgramed through the key thing. I have the official number for the blinking lights if your dealer says it can't be done.

Your selling dealer should do this at no charge.

E mail me if you wish.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
$24 for wheel locks will prevent your wheels from being stolen.

A BMW 3 series can be broke into in approx. 6 sec. and it only takes a ballpoint pen to disable the alarm, so the real pro's won't have a problem if they want to get inside your car.

Technically, the only way they'll steal the whole car is with a flatbed trailer.

The alarm may deter the amateurs, but if someone wants inside your car bad enough, its easy to do. If spending the cash gives you peace of mind, go for it.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
I've had my 330Ci for almost 22 months and don't have the alarm . . . if they want your car bad enough, they are going to get it whether or not you have an alarm.

Plus the car comes with the key that opens and closes the door by remote which is my favorite feature of most alarms anyway . . .

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
If I ever considered an alarm, it would be one of those GPS units that can track your car anywhere in the world once stolen, but at its cost, I'd have to justify buying one for something more than a BMW (thinking upwards of $60K or more for an automobile before I'd consider one) I hear the insurance companies give you a break on rates with them better than a standard alarm too.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I have an alarm and am glad I got it BUT you have to understand that car thieves are going back to the old way of stealing cars, they stick a gun in your face and say "git out!".

All the new cars are so hard to steal that the simple way is best. There are some of the very high end thieves that have the high tech gear to bypass the chip in the keys etc... but they are ver few and not looking at our 3ers etc...

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
in_d_haus said:
I have an alarm and am glad I got it BUT you have to understand that car thieves are going back to the old way of stealing cars, they stick a gun in your face and say "git out!".

All the new cars are so hard to steal that the simple way is best. There are some of the very high end thieves that have the high tech gear to bypass the chip in the keys etc... but they are ver few and not looking at our 3ers etc...
Your 325 came with an alarm, just curious, are you ordering one for your M3?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I get a significant insurance discount, 20%, if I get the alarm. Feel like I'm getting something for my money at least and not pissing it away on insurance. BTW, I got my alarm thrown in as part of my deal. Dealer also threw in a set of wheel locks for free. :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am definitely getting the alarm for my 325ci.

I had a similar experience as ERK. Except it happened in my own garage AND..... I am still living at the same place =))

$500 to install is nothing considering that peace of mind!!

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
I don't have one and don't think that it is necessary....

but, my mind may change if my car is ever stolen :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts