Various aftermarket "N54 - Engine Performance Tuning" kits are being
aggressively advertised to BMW owners.
Depending on the manufacturer, these modifications may consist of a
"turbo-tuner control module" (piggyback box) plugged directly into the TMAP
sensor / DME connector, waste-gates vacuum plumbing alterations, or the DME
"performance" software programming.
In general, each aftermarket tuner claims a significant increase in engine
power and torque of up to 40% over the stock N54 engine specifications
(which are, respectively, 300 hp and 400 Nm).
These alleged performance gains are achieved by an increase of the
turbochargers boost in a wide range of engine speeds, in some cases
exceeding the maximum designed turbo pressure of 8.8 psi by 50%.
:dunno::cry::eek::yikes:

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Rest of the announcement:

INFORMATION
None of the aftermarket "N54 Engine Performance Tuning" kits has been
evaluated, tested, approved or endorsed by the BMW Development or Service
Departments.
Any alterations to the originally designed and installed turbochargers
control system or to the DME software may increase a vehicle's emission
levels and may compromise its OBD II compliance.
Moreover, to the best of BMW NA knowledge, none of the aftermarket "N54
Performance" kits have been certified (homologated) by the appropriate
federal and state authorities (EPA/CARB) to meet street-legal emission
requirements. BMW vehicles equipped with such "performance enhancement
devices" without these certifications are not in compliance with EPA/CARB
emission anti-tampering laws.
Excessive turbocharger boost increases engine temperatures resulting in
pressures and forces which may damage engine internal components and or may
cause premature turbochargers failure.
Due to increased engine output and the altered emissions characteristics,
severe damage may be inflicted on emission control components, such as
oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.
Excessive engine loads, above the designed levels, may also compromise long
term reliability and longevity of other drivetrain components, such as:
clutch transmission, transfer case, differentials, etc.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Modification of the vehicle or installation of any non-approved performance
accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original
engineering and/or operating specifications or which results in damage to
the other original components voids the warranty coverage on the affected
original Drivetrain and Emission Control components.
In general terms, the BMW warranty on Drivetrain and Emission Control
components is void due to a modification where the modification, alteration
or installation of a non-approved aftermarket part was responsible for the
failure.
Please make sure to inform BMW customers considering purchase of an
aftermarket "N54 Engine Performance" kit of the above legal and technical
implications.

[ Copyright C 2008 BMW of North America, LLC ]
This is pretty much known to everyone who mods their engine w/ a piggyback, but now it is in writing, not a big surprise, if they came out w/ an announcement about piggyback detection...that would be more interesting...some on this site say they already have come out w/ that detection and this announcement would be the prereq to an SA coming out to the customer saying, "Sorry we warned you, and we detected the piggyback/alteration". Who knows, BMW just needs to write a simple algorithm to detect fluctuations of a piggyback. Get an M3, no worries about this stuff. :)

·
stupid fuel pump
169 Posts
I wonder if this is also the beginning of the end for the Dinan / BMW relationship. As I found out a couple weeks ago, BMW has made my delaership begin to take down Dinan promotions and materials. They will only have Dinan for a couple more weeks. Perhaps because they are scaring customers with the CARB issues, BMW can sell their own performance mods as legal emission friendly add ons.

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
In step with born2bugu's comments, I see this as part of BMW's overall strategy to place its soon-to-be announced mods above the earlier mods. First the stick (threat) of the warrenty/emission compliance then the carrot of the BMW mods.

It will be warranty compliant, emission neutral and will cause those male owners with pattern baldness to spontaneously regrow their hair.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Dear PhilipWOT:

On behalf of the E9X modding community, we are truly sorry for not believing you.

BJ

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dear PhilipWOT:

On behalf of the E9X modding community, we are truly sorry for not believing you.

BJ
Funny...where's the proof concerning the detection of said piggybacks? A + B does not necessarily lead to C.

Boost up! :bow:

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
It makes me wonder.
As long as Dinan picks up any and all tabs for warranty related issues with the vehicle due to the software, I doubt there will be a rift with BMW vs Dinan. In the end, it's all about money, no matter what the emissions message is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
so how is this

any different concept wise than what the dinan software does? Effectively increases boost pressure to gain hp which inturn potentially stresses internal parts and emmsion sensors yada yada yada.

·
Registered
376 Posts
As long as Dinan picks up any and all tabs for warranty related issues with the vehicle due to the software, I doubt there will be a rift with BMW vs Dinan. In the end, it's all about money, no matter what the emissions message is.
Amen.

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
any different concept wise than what the dinan software does? Effectively increases boost pressure to gain hp which inturn potentially stresses internal parts and emmsion sensors yada yada yada.
There's no difference other than the method of affecting performance changes. The difference is you lean on the Dinan warranty that you paid extra for in the event of a failure but with the various piggybacks, a related failure leaves you with a large repair bill.

I hope this is all leading to BMW releasing a factory-backed warranted tune.

·
Go Gators
10,338 Posts
There's no difference other than the method of affecting performance changes. The difference is you lean on the Dinan warranty that you paid extra for in the event of a failure but with the various piggybacks, a related failure leaves you with a large repair bill.

I hope this is all leading to BMW releasing a factory-backed warranted tune.
I doubt it will happen.

Nothing against that juice box, but I'd pay for dinan's outrageous prices because of the warranty.

Although, they really cant tell if you've juice boxed if you take it off before dealer, right?

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
I doubt it will happen.

Nothing against that juice box, but I'd pay for dinan's outrageous prices because of the warranty.

Although, they really cant tell if you've juice boxed if you take it off before dealer, right?
That's the claim. Then you start getting into how closely the techs check the connections...will BMW escalate it by having some engineer check things etc. Bottom line is that if they think modding is behind an issue, they will look closely for toolmarks etc to back up their denying your warranty claim. As long as folks that mod accept that as a possible outcome, don't sweat it. :thumbup:

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
That's the claim. Then you start getting into how closely the techs check the connections...will BMW escalate it by having some engineer check things etc. Bottom line is that if they think modding is behind an issue, they will look closely for toolmarks etc to back up their denying your warranty claim. As long as folks that mod accept that as a possible outcome, don't sweat it. :thumbup:
+1, also, all they need is a fluctuation algorithm to determine if the car has had a piggyback on in the first place. If the numbers are there, they have the proof. Mathematics doesn't lie.

Edit: they still need concrete proof. Only a program will do this, tool marks will cause them to probably examine much further, but not let them deny claims at least not until they have more proof.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would love to see bmw come out with an power boost upgrade for the car as part of their Performance Parts division. I think that adding a different exhaust, engine remap software upgrading the oil cooler and upgrading parts of the tranny would be EXCELLENT and I, for one would actually pay to have that done to my car. Naturally, it should come with a full warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would love to see bmw come out with an power boost upgrade for the car as part of their Performance Parts division. I think that adding a different exhaust, engine remap software upgrading the oil cooler and upgrading parts of the tranny would be EXCELLENT and I, for one would actually pay to have that done to my car. Naturally, it should come with a full warranty.
I thnk the upgrade is called M3. Full warranty included.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts