BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like there is good news on the SAAB front...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/spyker-inks-deal-to****-saab-2010-01-26?dist=afterbell

Spyker and GM have inked the deal.

This is very good news for BMW drivers. Why?

SAAB drivers in Boston are atrocious. No lies. My colleagues and I have a list going every day, of how many times we were cut off/almost hit by a SAAB. These SAAB drivers (no offense to former SAAB drivers) are pretty loyal to their brand. They will keep purchasing SAABs now hopefully. No branching out to BMW, or any other brand. I would go insane if they upgraded to BMW's or other brands; I would not know who to watch out for on Boston roads. :)

So, again, thank you Spyker for not ruining BMW and/or any other brand's image by forcing the crappy SAAB drivers of Boston to purchase BMW/other brands.

·
Registered
719 Posts
There are a fair number of former Saab drivers in this forum based on the farewell Saab thread (when Saab looked like it was going to be shut down) so try not to insult our colleagues here.

Before I had a BMW, I heard about the bad BMW drivers. Particularly those who have no clue about cars but think a BMW has status. Then there are those that weave in and out of traffic thinking they are James Bond. I've seen makeup applied and shaving in BMWs, Hondas, Fords, etc.

The truth of the matter is that driver ability is not that good so there are bad drivers of every manufacturer.

Part of the reason for being cut off is the Saab drivers might think BMW drivers are good drivers so they can react safely to being cut off while a Honda driver might get into a panic and start crying if cut off. As far as letting cars merge into my lane, I give certain cars priority (other BMWs, Saabs, Volvos, Audis, Lotus, Mazda but no priority given to GM, Toyota, Nissan, Kia)

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
There are a fair number of former Saab drivers in this forum based on the farewell Saab thread (when Saab looked like it was going to be shut down) so try not to insult our colleagues here.

Before I had a BMW, I heard about the bad BMW drivers. Particularly those who have no clue about cars but think a BMW has status. Then there are those that weave in and out of traffic thinking they are James Bond. I've seen makeup applied and shaving in BMWs, Hondas, Fords, etc.

The truth of the matter is that driver ability is not that good so there are bad drivers of every manufacturer.
Amen, from a former (long-time) Saab owner.

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
I learned to drive on a SAAB and used it to take my road test at the Registry in Watertown. At one point in my life I was a SAAB driver in Boston. Back then they were out numbered by Volvos and there were not many BMWs on the road.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offense meant to current/former SAAB drivers. Just been our experience here over the last few years, unfortunately, seems like many of the bad drivers around here coincidentally drive SAABs. We get to dodge them and anticipate awful things before they happen just from the manufacture, it is unfortunate. Maybe over the next few years, there will be a broader spectrum of bad drivers in other manufacturers autos, but currently, we are seeing a majority of SAABs. Not to be mistaken, this does not pertain to other areas or cities. I myself like SAABs and feel that the history of the manufacturer is very rich. But as of now, many of us do not like the appearance of SAABs in this area due to the multiple bad experiences not even weekly, daily actually.

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
Part of the reason for being cut off is the Saab drivers might think BMW drivers are good drivers so they can react safely to being cut off while a Honda driver might get into a panic and start crying if cut off.
:rofl: Damnit I've been found out!

I am happy that SAAB will remain a going concern in the auto business. I might even go check out the new 9-5, but will be more interested in the redesigned 9-3 to see where Spyker allows them to go now that they will be out from under GM's thumb of mediocrity.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts

Part of the reason for being cut off is the Saab drivers might think BMW drivers are good drivers so they can react safely to being cut off while a Honda driver might get into a panic and start crying if cut off.
Eyeballing on the IIHS insurance claims data, it looks like either Saab drivers are pretty darn good, or Saab makes about the safest cars built anywhere on the planet for their size.

The claims numbers suggest that Mercedes, Acura and Lexus drivers are the ones to stay away from.

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2006-2008&cls=3

(Full disclosure: I've owned 2 Saabs, both pre-GM.)

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
Eyeballing on the IIHS insurance claims data, it looks like either Saab drivers are pretty darn good, or Saab makes about the safest cars built anywhere on the planet for their size.

The claims numbers suggest that Mercedes, Acura and Lexus drivers are the ones to stay away from.

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2006-2008&cls=3

(Full disclosure: I've owned 2 Saabs, both pre-GM.)
Three for me. A 900, a 9000 and my current 9-5 Aero. All were overpriced as new but excellent secondary market values.
Never got stopped or a ticket in a Saab. I've been stopped 5 times and ticketed once in the E92. Hate to come to grips with whatever that means.
Oh, the ticket I got. I really, REALLY deserved it. Fortunately the cop knocked it down two categories and I only had to pay a semi-hefty fine.

PS I took a look at your chart and it looks to me like unless you drive a BMW wagon, or vert, the rest of us are no better than the three you cited. Kilgore would be very happy to see that wagons had one of the best scores of ALL cars. What does that mean???

·
Registered
927 Posts
Let's all hold our breath. It is not yet certain that the Spyker deal is done, and that SAAB is saved. SAAB is a distinctive marque, and I would like to see it remain on the scene. However, I must confess I did once own a 1964 SAAB 96, with its dis-stink-tive 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine. That enabled me to learn how to undo spark plugs, and clean them off with a wire brush in just a few minutes downtime. That was necessary if you were caught in any traffic jam, since the fuel mix of 1 quart oil to 8 gallons of gas led to regular plug fouling under idling conditions.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
Let's all hold our breath. It is not yet certain that the Spyker deal is done, and that SAAB is saved. SAAB is a distinctive marque, and I would like to see it remain on the scene. However, I must confess I did once own a 1964 SAAB 96, with its dis-stink-tive 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine. That enabled me to learn how to undo spark plugs, and clean them off with a wire brush in just a few minutes downtime. That was necessary if you were caught in any traffic jam, since the fuel mix of 1 quart oil to 8 gallons of gas led to regular plug fouling under idling conditions.
Ah yes, the car I learned to drive manual trans in. Three speeds with a four foot long, floppy, floor mounted shift lever! The exhaust pipe was about an inch in diameter.

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
Head today that Saab is NOT dead. GM announced that in Dec, but it turns out there is a new buyer to keep Saab alive.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
Three for me. A 900, a 9000 and my current 9-5 Aero. All were overpriced as new but excellent secondary market values.
Never got stopped or a ticket in a Saab. I've been stopped 5 times and ticketed once in the E92. Hate to come to grips with whatever that means.
Oh, the ticket I got. I really, REALLY deserved it. Fortunately the cop knocked it down two categories and I only had to pay a semi-hefty fine.
I received one speeding ticket in my second Saab. On Friday the 13th, too. I've not (yet) been stopped in my Volvo. Or BMW, but I only put 4000 miles on it so far since I telecommute.

PS I took a look at your chart and it looks to me like unless you drive a BMW wagon, or vert, the rest of us are no better than the three you cited. Kilgore would be very happy to see that wagons had one of the best scores of ALL cars. What does that mean???
IIHS has listed the Porsche 911 Cabriolet as one of the "safest" cars around. (Injury claims only 27% of the average vehicle!) Probably for somewhat similar reasons. Porsche Cabriolets, as well as station wagons and minivans probably aren't used to bludgeon their way through rush-hour traffic as often as sedans and SUVs. The claims rates are not corrected for the driving patterns or age/gender/income/education of the owners.

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2006-2008&cls=4

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2006-2008&cls=5

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
The deal depends on three big 'ifs';
If the company can get a half billion dollar loan.
If the Swedish government will guarantee a half billion dollar loan.
If the company will dump their Russki prez who is said to have some shady connections. (There's a surprise, a Russian business oligarch with shady connections!)

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Wouldn't you rather be driving a Spyker?

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wouldn't you rather be driving a Spyker?
:)
Yes.

I think saabs are great cars though, rich history. Maybe the saab drivers here can come to Boston, and show the others proper driving techniques as well.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
The deal depends on three big 'ifs';
If the company can get a half billion dollar loan.
If the Swedish government will guarantee a half billion dollar loan.
If the company will dump their Russki prez who is said to have some shady connections. (There's a surprise, a Russian business oligarch with shady connections!)
I spoke to a friend of Victor Muller at a cocktail party tonight. He told me that Muller bought out his Russian partner and that there is a good possibility that he will pull it off.

CA

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts

Chicks dig wagons! :clap:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
I spoke to a friend of Victor Muller at a cocktail party tonight. He told me that Muller bought out his Russian partner and that there is a good possibility that he will pull it off.

CA
This was required as GM will continue to be a global parts supplier for some time to come (and maintains a large number of shares in SAAB Spyker) and didn't want the Russians sharing intellectual property, or so the story goes.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts

Perhaps it means that wagon drivers are secure, independent individuals, who appreciate the fine art of driving more than trying to "smoke" every other car on the road. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts