BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dilemma...

I have a garage full of Wall street cash cars i.e. m5, 335's, m3's m6's etc. and while I love my e39 530i I have come to the point where I crave a bit more power.

I have been reading about the two boost options VF and ESS and was thinking I would start a thread to hear about the pro's and cons and what other e39ers think about this upgrade option. I am looking for feedback on everything from warrantee to performance to engine life issues. Bottom line is this is not a cheap upgrade and the car is relatively young so this forum's feedback will hopefully help me make the right choice.

My Beast:
Black 2003 e39
M5 wheels
Racing Dynamics intake
32k miles
Just off free maintenance plan
Still on pre-owned extended warrantee

Attachments

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
My dilemma...

I have a garage full of Wall street cash cars i.e. m5, 335's, m3's m6's etc. and while I love my e39 530i I have come to the point where I crave a bit more power.

If it's power you want what's wrong with one of the the M6's- :dunno: If i had a stable of cars like that the 530 would be the last thing I would want to drive. IMO

My reply does not address your question but I had to start with the obvious.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol maybe i was not clear... I live in a building with a shared garage and those cars I mentioned while I look at them every day are not mine : ) They belong to the wall street crowd that has been cashing in on the last few years of the stock market. They do however contribute to my lust for more power in MY 530i.

A new m5 e60 is not in my cards right now so other options must be explored.

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
Lol maybe i was not clear... I live in a building with a shared garage and those cars I mentioned while I look at them every day are not mine : ) They belong to the wall street crowd that has been cashing in on the last few years of the stock market. They do however contribute to my lust for more power in MY 530i.

A new m5 e60 is not in my cards right now so other options must be explored.
Oh I see.. well that's different. In that case if you are surrounded by these Beasts then you should be just as quiet as you can. You can't f**k with anything that you just listed even with the Super Charger(maybe the 335). Naw never mind the 335 will probably eat you up too. :eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Assuming the 50% power adder rule for superchargers you are talking about ~335 Hp for ~$8K. According to Edmunds you could upgrade to a 2003 540i for ~$5K, add in a custom chip and cat back exhaust for another $1.5K and you will have about the same Hp for $2.5K less. Don't get me wrong, I love superchargers, or should I say, I love the right supercharger (SC). Because the SC for a BMW is a centrifugal type, basically a belt driven turbocharger, at low RPM you are not building much boost and therefore don't have the low end grunt of a bigger cube engine (540i) or screw type SC (not available for the 530/540).

If you are set on keeping the 530, and have the extra cash, a SC is a great go fast toy. Properly installed and monitored a SC engine will have a very long life. I have a 2001 F150 that has 145K miles and 45K of those miles are SC'd. Engine runs great, I fully expect to get at least 180K+ before it needs any work. But, I didn't just install a SC and take off. The key to long engine life with a SC is to ensure the engine is not running lean or over boost. Pay to have the car tuned on a rear wheel dyno with an air/fuel monitor. The engine should never run higher than 13.5 (13.0 in my opinion) on the air fuel monitor. Once the car is tuned properly, install a boost gauge and air/fuel gauge so that you can monitor the engine full time. I am not sure if the two kits you mentioned include the following, but if they don't, you had better consider adding them into the cost of the package - larger fuel injectors, larger or booster fuel pump, upgraded fuel filter.

Once the shine rubs off on the SC, consider upgrading the exhaust, all that additional air the SC is moving has to go somewhere.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Active Autowerk makes an intercooled twin-screw SC for the 330i that will pull almost 400 hp (see sig line), tbough it costs a bit more than VF or ESS. I don't know anyone who has mounted one on a 530, but as it's the same engine, it shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have read about the AAW twin screen but it sounds like the extra HP comes at the cost of the engine life as it works at about 8-9 psi. At 9g's it is really $$$ as well.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Just sell the 530 and get an e39 M5.
+1 :thumbup:

The mods needed to beat the other beasts in your garage will only shorten your car's life, perhaps exponentially.

I used to live just up the street in West New York on Blvd East - where the hell do you plan on driving that fast anyway? I can't think of anywhere else in the country where I would be less interested in buying a really fast car.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
But if you have to I would go with the E39 M5, as posted above.

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
I actually ran a speadsheet on if engine upgrades are worth it,
I'm better off just buying a new car.

current car value + mods < 335 - depreciation

Go drive the 335

·
Registered
90 Posts
My dilemma...

pic or ban buddy...i called it.:jack:

If you have all that money to blow on cars, why not just drop off your 530 to Dinan HQ with a check for 65K. They'll put an M5 S-3 s/c motor in it :) Just IMHO:thumbup:

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
pic or ban buddy...i called it.:jack:

If you have all that money to blow on cars, why not just drop off your 530 to Dinan HQ with a check for 65K. They'll put an M5 S-3 s/c motor in it :) Just IMHO:thumbup:
Re-follow ALL of the posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would actually be funny for you all to see the amount of late model beasts in my buildings garage. there is one that is actually a lot of fun to look at a e34 m5 in white in perfect shape. Driving a 91 525i before the e39 I am curious how that ride would compare.

Anyway keep the feedback coming as it really becoming obvious that this mod is prob not the way to go. We will see, if I could find someone looking to unload the a system out of a car they are selling that would be ideal as it would bring the cost down a bit.

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
just doing the basic mods, exhaust, chip and intake..then spend $2500 on a limited slip diff and 3:63 or even 3:38 gears, then you could keep up a with a bonestock automatic 540..those gears plus the supercharger then you might keep up with a 335i...

·
E30 Maniac
2,461 Posts
+1 :thumbup:
I used to live just up the street in West New York on Blvd East - where the hell do you plan on driving that fast anyway? I can't think of anywhere else in the country where I would be less interested in buying a really fast car.
i used to live a little bit further up north in edgewater. traffic hell. it's not for going fast, just looking cool i guess :rofl: if you really want to push your car to the limits, get it on the track!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts