BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

To compound 2009 X5 or not

1114 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  brettnyc
I have a Black Saphire 2009 X5 that I have had waxed for three years now. I have some scratches (nothing major) and swirls from either washing and/or waxing that is starting to show. Should I consider having the truck compounded? what are the pros and cons? Thanks.:dunno:
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
You will probably get more answers over on the detailing forum.

In my limited detailing experience and from a lot of reading on forums like autotopia and autogeek, there is limited downside if done correctly. If taken to a random body, detail shop, the possible downside is that they have an inexperienced person doing the work who induces more swirling and marring. Or worse, goes all the way through the clear coat.

Based on your description, you may just need a good polish. The detailing guys polish all the time and don't see a lot of risk in it. Again, I would say it depends on how it is done.
"compound" is a very general term.

The 'grit' or aggressiveness runs the spectrum from hevy compound to compount to swirl remover to polish to light polish to ... you get the idea.

The universal truth is this: use the lightess grit possible to achieve scratch removal in a reasonable time.

What you want to ask for is a mild paint correction: strip off all waxes, clean the surface (claybar) then scratch removal then polish, then wax/sealant.

Done right, this is somewhat expensive. You can do it yourself, lots of DIYs on line- pick up a Portercable DA polisher, pads, materials for $250. Half to a thrid what a good job will run

A
Meguirs has a black wax that is a high quality wax plus it hides the swirls. Might be a reasonable middle ground for you.

Might not be a good solution for sapphire so you'd want to give it a test
I have a Black Saphire 2009 X5 that I have had waxed for three years now. I have some scratches (nothing major) and swirls from either washing and/or waxing that is starting to show. Should I consider having the truck compounded? what are the pros and cons? Thanks.:dunno:
+1
My previous ride was a black x3. I had tons of swirls and finally pulled the trigger on a porter cable. You just can't get the same results by hand.
"compound" is a very general term.

The 'grit' or aggressiveness runs the spectrum from hevy compound to compount to swirl remover to polish to light polish to ... you get the idea.

The universal truth is this: use the lightess grit possible to achieve scratch removal in a reasonable time.

What you want to ask for is a mild paint correction: strip off all waxes, clean the surface (claybar) then scratch removal then polish, then wax/sealant.

Done right, this is somewhat expensive. You can do it yourself, lots of DIYs on line- pick up a Portercable DA polisher, pads, materials for $250. Half to a thrid what a good job will run

A
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.