BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 BMW 535xi....Would love to bump the power and retain my CPO warranty. DINAN comes to mind, but since I do not have an oil cooler I am stuck to a S1 performance upgrade versus S2. Now eventhough this is a 20% bump in power and torque, i hear that i wont "feel" the power increase with the S1 and might be throwing my money away. Any insights?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
2008 BMW 535xi....Would love to bump the power and retain my CPO warranty. DINAN comes to mind, but since I do not have an oil cooler I am stuck to a S1 performance upgrade versus S2. Now eventhough this is a 20% bump in power and torque, i hear that i wont "feel" the power increase with the S1 and might be throwing my money away. Any insights?
I do not think Dinan dovetails with the CPO warranty. If you are outside the regular warranty you get two years through Dinan. Interesting about the oil cooler - doesn't the E60 have one OEM?

I would also look into a Cobb tuner.

·
Registered
686 Posts
are you sure you don't have an oil cooler? if you have the two hoses attached to the filter housing/pump you have a cooler real oem show 535's with it..

but i hear some don't ,,just can't find the rhythm or reason on which do and which do not..

but any just get a cobb more power ,easier ,cheaper and safe. plus when your down with it you will be able to sell it for 60% of its cost down the road.. can't do that w/ dinan. I belive dinan only mirrors the original warranty ..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You don't need an oil cooler anyways to run a performance tune.

When I got my JB4, I handed down my JB3 to my son who drives an E92 335i. It doesn't have an oil cooler. It's almost never an issue. The only time it was was when I was running it like a crazed dog at Sebring raceway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for insights. Yes I dont have the oil cooler, which made me shy away from DINAN cuz I am still not sure S1 is worth it, while S2 is a different story.
I will have to look into Cobb or JB I guess, I hear a lot about the but not too familiar with either. Is it something doable myself or you all recommend I take it to an installer? Again not too familiar with either and I dont want an excuse from Dealer re warranty void. Already had the Low Pressure fuel sensor go bad at 40K miles and it was covered by CPO, but I can imagine the maintenance cost on this baby down the line....

·
Registered
676 Posts
The Cobb is a very simple install that you do yourself. It's completely removable and done via the OBDII port on your car. The JB is a little more complicated and requires hard wiring into your ECU, but has alot more integration features for methanol, nos, etc (if you wanted to go in that direction). From what you are saying above, i'd really look at the cobb tune (it's what I have) for simplicity and ease of install.

·
Registered
11 Posts
535i Dinan

I got the Dinan software installed at my dealer last year on my 09 535i, and the performance is really impressive. The HP went from the stock 300 to about 380, and the torque went from 300 to about 420 (and that's what you feel pushing you back in the seat). Even got it at 15% off regular price as part of annual sale.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I got the Dinan software installed at my dealer last year on my 09 535i, and the performance is really impressive. The HP went from the stock 300 to about 380, and the torque went from 300 to about 420 (and that's what you feel pushing you back in the seat). Even got it at 15% off regular price as part of annual sale.
Hey.. i'm not trying to call you out on this, and I'm sure your tune is running great, but an 80 hp improvement? I've got serious doubts about that. The #'s you are quoting (300hp) are at the crank and I doubt software alone added 30% HP as dinan takes a very "mild" approach to tuning. WHen tuning a car you need to look at the delta between a stock wheel horsepower (whp) dyno run then a tuned dyno run.

To get 380 HP at the rear wheels, you need to be fully bolted on, stag 2 tune from Cobb, JB or Procede and most likely running meth. The MOST HP you'll generally see from a tune alone is 50-70 hp. And that is an aggressive tune so I highly doubt a Dinan software install is adding 80 hp. So, if your car starts at 260 whp (average for a 535), then a tune will put you maybe around 320, 330 at most (again, whp). I'm running stg 2 +, at 18 PSI boost, with catted DP's, aftermarket FMIC, DCI intake and aftermarkets DV's and am pushing about 370 HP (whp).

Dinan is a fine tune, but be aware you must take it into the dealer to have it done, is hidesouly expensive when compared to the other proven tunes and, in terms of performance, ranks pretty much last. It is, however, the only one that allows you to keep the tune on and take the car to the dealer (while retaining warranty). Most people who tune simply remove it when visting the dealer.

Here is a dyno run stock vs stg 1 cobb tune (who is pretty aggressive):

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dinan 535

You may be right about all that. I'm just sayin' that the Dinan material provides the basis of the figures that I quoted. So if the base HP rating is 300 (at crank) and Dinan says that its software takes it to about 380, the equivalent whp is a similar 27% advance (or 330 whp). So I think we're on the same page here.

And I will say that I had a 95 Vette with the same 300/300 stock rating, and the tuned 535 would destroy it. Acceleration from 60 to 100 is effortless....

·
Registered
676 Posts
You may be right about all that. I'm just sayin' that the Dinan material provides the basis of the figures that I quoted. So if the base HP rating is 300 (at crank) and Dinan says that its software takes it to about 380, the equivalent whp is a similar 27% advance (or 330 whp). So I think we're on the same page here.

And I will say that I had a 95 Vette with the same 300/300 stock rating, and the tuned 535 would destroy it. Acceleration from 60 to 100 is effortless....
Did you get the stg 1 software or stg 2? I think their material *may* be a bit optimistic but, honestly, who cares. If your car is running great then it really doesn't matter.

On the stg 2 +, I just ran a 4.42 0-60 and I still need to figure out my launches. Taking it the 1/4 mile track next weekend to get some times.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had Dinan S2 installed when I first got my car since they would back the factory warranty - which I still have. The only way to "tune" your car and retain the CPO warranty is to use a system (Cobb, JB4) that can be removed before going back to the dealer - which you can't do with Dinan.

BMWNA verified that since my car has Dinan s/w, they MAY not honor any claim under ANY BMW extended warranty (even if I removed the Dinan s/w and took it back to stock) so I am looking elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I would suggest some further options here:

Burger's JB+ is a nice, simple pigtail option. It clips on the intake sensor wire under the airbox so is easy to take on and off. It adds a lot of torque and maybe 40-50 wheel hp, very noticable improvement. I think it retails for $279. I bought a used one for under half that and installed on our 535 wagon. It now performs like a V8. Tons of easy, quiet power. My wife loves it.

The Cobb hooks up to the left side access port by the knee, so is super easy to remove. Not sure what it goes for, but performance is similar to the JB4.

The JB4 from Burger is $479 and must be installed in the ECU. Any shop can do that for an hour's labor if you have no mechanical skills. It can be completeyl turned off by clicking on steering wheel controls, and it is highly unlikely any BMW service center would open up your ECU box to look for it. It also auto clears any tuner codes the car might throw, so that adds to the stealth element. This unit will add up to 70 WHP as Xclone said. Even more torque.

I would look into these options and forget about the Dinan which costs more and delivers less.

·
Registered
420 Posts
In my opinion, I would not go Dinan. Overpriced and underpowered. Don't let the warranty peace of mind people scare you. Ask anyone else who has any other tune if they have had any issues with their warranty and I bet the answer will be no.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the insight...ya especially with no oil cooler its seems I am getting consenus that S1 DINAN is simply not worth it...looking at Cobb website. For simplicity and a good bump in "felt" power S1 Cobb seems to be the right choice for me.
Question for all you experts: I took my car in last week due to a sputtering effect that happened earlier and caused the check engine light yo come on briefly. When i took the car in it was fine, but they where able to pull the now stored error codes, etc. and diagbnosed it to be a faulty Low Pressure Fuel sensor. The question is, even if I put Cobb and remove it prior to taking car in for service, will the dealer be able to tell I been running a different curve and thus not honor any CPO warranty work??
Other than that open issue, it looks like you all convinced me to to Cobb S1...thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks for all the insight...ya especially with no oil cooler its seems I am getting consenus that S1 DINAN is simply not worth it...looking at Cobb website. For simplicity and a good bump in "felt" power S1 Cobb seems to be the right choice for me.
Question for all you experts: I took my car in last week due to a sputtering effect that happened earlier and caused the check engine light yo come on briefly. When i took the car in it was fine, but they where able to pull the now stored error codes, etc. and diagbnosed it to be a faulty Low Pressure Fuel sensor. The question is, even if I put Cobb and remove it prior to taking car in for service, will the dealer be able to tell I been running a different curve and thus not honor any CPO warranty work??
Other than that open issue, it looks like you all convinced me to to Cobb S1...thanks
As long as you completely uninstall the cobb before taking it to the dealer, they will not know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A BMW master tech told me that BMWNA can determine if a tune has been installed/deinstalled by the ecu download that is sent to them for all warranty claims. He said these codes can only be seen by BMW NA, not the dealer.

Sent from my EVO4G using Bimmer App

·
Registered
988 Posts
A BMW master tech told me that BMWNA can determine if a tune has been installed/deinstalled by the ecu download that is sent to them for all warranty claims. He said these codes can only be seen by BMW NA, not the dealer.

Sent from my EVO4G using Bimmer App
So you are saying there hidden codes that are more hidden then the already well discussed hidden codes that can easily be cleared?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.