Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so wife came back from work w a flat, no idea how she drove on it sidewalls gone now. Call up my tire place and ..... conti dws 315-35-20 on national backorder! yea fuk me! tires have low miles on them as I put them on last year. Luckily found a new one on ebay after calling everywhere will be here in a few days but until then ill use the spare. Thankfully I sourced it when i bought the truck a few years ago, turns a prblm not into a prblm.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and the pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
There's a reason almost every car came with a spare tire for the first 100 or so years of the automobile. No spare stopped me from buying a MINI as my next beater.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,786 Posts
There's a reason almost every car came with a spare tire for the first 100 or so years of the automobile. No spare stopped me from buying a MINI as my next beater.
In the Parthenon of Stupid Automotive Decisions...its right up there with no physical dipstick.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree I want a dipstick and a spare!! so had to cancell the tire i foubd on ebay date code was from 2011, dont want a 8 yr old tire... cant find any new conti dws in a 315 if anyone knows of any please pm me!:thumbup:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,786 Posts
If it was cheap enough, id run it until the national backorder is over.... Like $100, 150?

In the future- EVERYONE:

When you get new tires, take the one 'best' old tire, and save it in your garage. For exactly this situation. (Ideally it is 'legal tread' or a shop might refuse. Mine did once, since they knew I had one on order.)

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
In the Parthenon of Stupid Automotive Decisions...its right up there with no physical dipstick.
I put an aftermarket spare in my F10 535i. I was at a BMW NA event at my favorite BMW dealership a few years ago where we were driving competitors' cars: M-B, Lexus, Audi, Porsche Panamera. I asked one of the BMW NA rep's to come over and look at the previous generation M-B E-Class. I popped the trunk, pulled up the floor panel, and showed the BMW NA the M-B's spare tire. I then popped my trunk, showed him my spare hogging up trunk space and eliminating having a flat trunk floor. I specifically told the guy that from here on out, every car I buy will come with a spare tire, and have a place to put it. His response was "Yeah, but how often do you have a flat tire?"

In addition to coming to the BMW NA event, I'd brought a tire in from my beater to be flipped on the rim. The dealership had installed the new tires on the car and put one on backwards. I pointed to my tire sitting my the service garage's entrance and told the BMW NA rep that it was my tire off my other car, allowing him to come to the conclusion that I'd brought in for a puncture repair. You could tell that the 25 watt bulb above the guy's head was starting to flicker.

We put off buying a new SUV for Frau Putzer for three years until the G01 X3 came out. That's a third of a car's life in the Putzer fleet. Another way of looking at that is that we will buy one less BMW because of the lack of a spare.

Actually, we're moving to another state in 2020, and the local BMW there refused to repair punctures. "You have to buy a new tire." Wanna bet? I reported this in some survey I took, telling BMW NA that the local BMW dealer refusing to repair a flat tire will stop us from buying any more BMW's.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
If it was cheap enough, id run it until the national backorder is over.... Like $100, 150?

In the future- EVERYONE:

When you get new tires, take the one 'best' old tire, and save it in your garage. For exactly this situation. (Ideally it is 'legal tread' or a shop might refuse. Mine did once, since they knew I had one on order.)
That's a real good idea. If you save two, you can set them in front of the Lazy Boy recliner when watching F1 races., so that you'll have sort of an in-car view. Old tires will work better, since new ones stink up the house when doing this.

I pride myself on getting tires to wear evenly and to wear down to or almost down to the wear bars. I call this "tire whispering." It's sort of like horse whispering... but with tires instead of horses. I like keeping a well worn tire or two as a trophies and further evidence of my genius.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,786 Posts
Ive keep a full size 18" M5 front wheel in the trunk of my E39M5 for 14 years. Used it 5 or 6 times.

It began one week after I hit a pothole, broke a rim- faced a 100mile tow AND two days in a hotel waiting for a wheel. (cut it short a day when a stranger on M5Board loaned me one!)

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Ive keep a full size 18" M5 front wheel in the trunk of my E39M5 for 14 years. Used it 5 or 6 times.

It began one week after I hit a pothole, broke a rim- faced a 100mile tow AND two days in a hotel waiting for a wheel. (cut it short a day when a stranger on M5Board loaned me one!)
I bought a 17" wheel used in Tire Rack's snow tire package as a spare for my E46 M3. Tire Rack also had a spacer and extended lug bolts for putting it on the back. It took up the whole trunk. But, when we traveled in the car we'd pile duffle bags in the back seat.

I mostly used the spare to hold the car up when I took a tire in for a puncture repair. But, I did have one blowout in the 115k miles I had the car, caused by a defective valve stem. I was on my way in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can just buy the used bmw rim+tire for $100 shipping included on eBay. I have done it for my x5 e70. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
bmw addiction
7,147 Posts
You can just buy the used bmw rim+tire for $100 shipping included on eBay. I have done it for my x5 e70. Problem solved

do you have a link?

I really need to get spare since I don't have run flats anymore

·
Registered
62 Posts
You need to know your size and then search on eBay.

The listing I purchased was:
BMW X5 2000-2006 17" OEM Rim Wheel spare tire Michelin energy mxv4 225/65/17

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

In the future- EVERYONE:

The back order they say is until June.....Im searching for my best option. may have found a good 8/32 set that i may just buy...you would run the 2011 tire?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,786 Posts
The back order they say is until June.....Im searching for my best option. may have found a good 8/32 set that i may just buy...you would run the 2011 tire?
on your car? Sure.

I kid, i kid

If it was a new tire- never been mounted- I'd prolly be OK. If it was aused, mounted and run tire, less so. Just aging for 8 years in a dark place, not mounted, not inflated, is not like 'in use' aging. IMO

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I passed on the 2011, Ill make a few calls tmrw and see if i can find a local place with one...I am not a used tire fan. Ill see what my best option is and go from there.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so found a date code 17 w 8/32 which is what the rest of the tires are at, popped up this morn on ebay thank God exactly what i wanted. 135 bux. :thumbup:

·
6 RINGS
8,446 Posts
Gf blew a tire on the way back from the airport. Luckily I ordered the space saver spare. She had to drive 200 miles on it tho!

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
I had an eight year old spare fail within the first mile I drove it for the first time. Before then, the only time I used it was as a place holder when rotating the tires and to hold the car up, parked in the garage, when I took a flat in for repair. I've started replacing spares every six years. For our 2006 Accord, in 2018 they no longer made that size of spare. So, the next buyer now has a twelve year old spare.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts