BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything started out as a great day until I get a distraught call from my best friend that her '98 740iL was broken until while she went for a 30 minute doctors visit in downtown Philly. I told her to hang in there, call 911, and I'd be there in about a half hour. She was parked on South 21st between Lombard and Pine - pretty busy street but I guess that doesn't make a difference, even in broad daylight. They smashed the driver's window, but thankfully, the only thing they took was her cell phone, even though she had her checkbook and her laptop in her briefcase in the car as well. It seems the alarm going off must have scared them away. The bad part is that there is glass all over the interior and the driver's seat is soaked from the rain. Some people just piss me off. :mad:

To make things even worse, I get into the city to pick her up and she tells me that she has called 911 three times and every time she spoke to a different person and each was completely rude to her and basically yelled at HER that somebody broke into her car!! Whatever happened to 911 actually being helpful??? I suggested she use the Emergency menu and call BMW ASSIST which she did. Talk about helpful people :thumb: - they did everything from calling the police and filing a report, getting a tow truck, and calming her down since nothing like this has every happened to her and she was an emotional mess. Probably one of the best experiences I know of with BMW ASSIST.

The day gets even better - I was able to park right behind her on the street, but right after a parked, a car pulling into the space right behind literally came about 1 inch from my car and would have hit it if I wasn't right there to yell at the girl and get her to stop.

There is still more though. About 15 minutes after getting there, my back then decides it doesn't want to cooperate either today and decides to send sharp pains down my spine. So here I am in downtown Philly waiting in the rain for a tow truck and police and in severe back pain. Needless to say this was NOT a fun day and tommorow isn't looking any better. :thumbdwn: As a good friend of mine used to say - It's a great life if you don't weaken.

·
10,856 Posts
Look on the bright side... At least everyone's OK.

Sorry to hear about that. :(

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Why do you call '911' for a car break-in? Isn't that a waste of police resources?

I was taught (maybe incorrectly) to only call '911' in an 'emergency' situation.

In any case, sorry to hear about your crappy day. On the bright side, tomorrow is Friday!

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Emission said:
Why do you call '911' for a car break-in? Isn't that a waste of police resources?

I was taught (maybe incorrectly) to only call '911' in an 'emergency' situation.
What number do you dial in case of a theft or car break-in in the US apart from 911? Isn't there a common number like 110 for police or 112 for fire dept. here in Germany ? (just curious)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Emission said:

I've never heard that I should do anything different than to call 911 in a situation like that. We needed to get the police so that we could get a police report for the insurance and we didn't know the police department's phone number.

I was also just told yesterday by my cousin who is a state trooper in New Jersey that if you really have an emergency the better thing to do is to call the police department directly instead of 911. Sounds contradictory to everything I've been told, but he is the one that would know.:dunno:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Emission said:

In any case, sorry to hear about your crappy day. On the bright side, tomorrow is Friday!
Every time I've had to call the police for a break in (numerous times), I dialed the police directly. Every time, they told me to hang up and call 911...I think it is so the dispatch will be logged in the computer and they can keep track of where officers are more easily.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Believe it or not, stress is responsible for 80% of all back injuries (mental stress)
Dr. Rip:tsk: :D

I must have been really stressed when I ruptured the L4/5 a few years back:( :bigpimp:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not to add flame to the fire, but she really should think twice about leaving stuff (cellphone, computer carrying case, etc) in plain view in the car. When she is in less of the emotional wreck state you can give her advice on that. Otherwise, sorry for the sucky day.

As for whether to call 911 or not. I wouldn't think you should in this case. I would think that you would call information or whatever to get the police station. My thought, too, was that 911 was for emergencies only. However, I don't know the proper avenues anymore. LOL

Hope your day gets better.

eric

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eboller said:
Not to add flame to the fire, but she really should think twice about leaving stuff (cellphone, computer carrying case, etc) in plain view in the car.
Yep, calmly reminded her about that this morning and that she should either take it with her, or put it in the trunk/glovebox. Also asked her why she didn't park in the garage, but she said she was late and in such a hurry she didn't have time to park at the garage a couple blocks away and walk back. What's odd though is she normally never leaves those things in the car (especially her phone - that thing is glued to her ear!), but she said she was in such a hurry, she forgot about them.

Good news about the phone though. We went to the local VoiceStream store last night to get a new phone and they not only discounted the replacement phone to below what is costs new subscribers, but also gave her a new belt clip and car charger for free and gave her some free minutes. Totally unexpected, but a nice gesture on VoiceStream's behalf.

As for who to call in an emergency, I'm completely confused.:dunno: I talked to my uncle this morning who is a retired township officer and he said to use 911 for all police related calls and not call the police station. This contradicts what my cousin said yesterday; to always call the police station. If the police officers themselves don't even know who to call, how are we??? Maybe it depends on the state/city though because my uncle worked in PA, but my cousin is in NJ??? I'm just happy yesterday is over - today is a MUCH better day. :D

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Emission said:

Yep, it would have been best to call a non-emergency police number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts