BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Driving for fun again. .
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Oxnard Harbor vessel schedule for August I found this information for 08/08. I can guess what it means but can anybody decode the last two lines of this?

August 08, 2012
Tomar
912/veh/164/hh/906/bmw/
365/mini/2rr/wwl/pac

Here is the link to the schedule.

107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to take a shot and say that is the information on how many vehicles the vessel is carrying.
Yeah, I guessed as much too. Didn't pay attention to the rr, I'll bet you're right about the railroad. I wonder if that is how the cars are transported to the pre-delivery building. It's a couple of miles away, or maybe they drive them there or load them on trucks. Might have to drive up to Oxnard next Wednesday and take a look. ;-)

· Registered
942 Posts
Going to take a shot and say that is the information on how many vehicles the vessel is carrying. BMW,mini Etc and wwl is wallenius wilhelmsen logistics. 2rr might be pacific rail road.
My bet is that rr signifies Rolls Royce.

The cars are driven from the port to the VPC on a special, closed, clean road that is not accessible to the public. It is just a couple of blocks away.

The offloading procedure involves a bus driving onto the ship with a load of longshoremen. They drive the cars off the ship and then hop back into the bus and go back for more. When the vessel is offloaded the cars are driven to the VPC. It takes the better part of a day to get all of the cars offloaded (I sat around all day and watched after one of my early ED"s).

107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bet is that rr signifies Rolls Royce.
I'll bet you're right.

The cars are driven from the port to the VPC on a special, closed, clean road that is not accessible to the public. It is just a couple of blocks away.
Using Google maps it's actually about 2 miles from the dock.

The offloading procedure involves a bus driving onto the ship with a load of longshoremen. They drive the cars off the ship and then hop back into the bus and go back for more. When the vessel is offloaded the cars are driven to the VPC.
I hope they wash the longshoremen off before they get in the cars. I used to work at the Port of Long Beach and I watched surprisingly few shuttle drivers unload thousands of Toyotas from ships. About three dozen drivers were kept in motion by the vans/buses that took them back to the ship after parking the cars. It was like watching a ballet.

· just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,645 Posts
Yep could be rolls, did not think they built them in the same facility.
We saw a number of RR being prepped at the VDC when we toured the facility in Oxnard, but were kept totally separate from the bimmers - kinda of like how coach class is kept separate from 1st class! :bigpimp:

· Registered
25 Posts
After Bremmerhaven the Tomar stopped at a port in England, South. . . something. I assumed it was to stock up on kippers and tea for the UK crew but they probably took on some Minis and maybe a few RR's too.
Southampton,

That is exactly what they were doing, that is why that stop tends to be the longest. All the others are just drop offs, Halifax, NY, Baltimore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.