BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hey look, no MPG gauge!

I definitely like the interior. Exterior - I'll wait and see.
But whatever anybody says, BMW's designs are much more fun than new MB's designs.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Geeze can't BMW's photographers find some new photo locations? They're the same old CA desert roads and the Mojave airfield in some of the other old brochures.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
alee said:
I still think it's ugly as sin. :thumbdwn:
I think BMW designed the Z4 with answering the critics of the Z3 in mind. Sensing the market for people liking the Z3 was saturated (after selling almost 300,000), I think they targeted the remainder of the market that does not like the Z3. So I guess it's not surprising that there will be some BMW fans (especially Z3 fans) that do not care for the design of the car.

However, by taking the long list of criticisms of the Z3 (styling, rear suspension, size, trunk space, manual boot cover, interior design and shortage of features)and trying to correct them, BMW has probably made a car that will give them a chance with the market segment that likes roadsters, but did not like the Z3.

For me, I'll need to see the car in person to judge it properly, but unless they make an M version, I don't see myself replacing an S54 M Roadster with one.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Scott- are you eventually planning to sell your M? If it were me, I would hold on to it until it's laid to rest. I love the design of the M Coupe and Roadster. The Z3 siblings are ok, but the M versions are going to be very special one day...and rare. Now I want one... :(

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My father is ordering the Z4 for april delivery. Silver or grey with black and aluminum trim. Say what you want, I think it's beautiful. The interior is very Z8ish. Looking forward to seeing it in person. Glad to see him in a bimmer, although he may still get the SL.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
The current plan . . .

is to keep that S54 M roady until I'm laid to rest! :D (that's why I don't plan to track that car, only autoX)

I think with the amount sold (a few thousand a year for 2 years and about 650 S54 M Coupes each of two years) and the retro style (which you know I love), I think it will be a classic in a relatively short time. (about 20,000 vettes are sold every year by comparison)

But things do change, people change in their taste and wallets, greater cars become available, etc. . . . but I think I've got a winner with this one. 300 plus hp is all the power that car will ever need to have fun at an autoX. The color combo and year (engine) I picked was all part of the plan to get a classic roadster that 25 years from now will still turn some heads. :)

·
749 Posts
From what I saw at the HC-02 "covert" factory tour, the grey is the least appealing color. The blue (Estoril or =) and Sienna Red looked much better in person. It definitely has some Z8 lines which is a +. I'm still waiting to see one up close for the final opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts