BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to polish and wax my car this weekend, but the weather forecast is looking like upper 30's - lower 40's. Does anyone have experience waxing in low temps? I know that friction/heat is what helps to apply the wax - will I be working my butt off to apply and remove? I'm using 1grand Blitz wax with Imperial Hand Glaze to clean the paint.

Thanks,
Slida

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I think it says right on my can of carnauba wax that it's recommended you use their wax above 50 degrees. I just did my whole car yesterday. mmmm...shiny. :yikes: :thumbup:

Do you have a garage? Pull the car in after a drive and the heat from the car after shutting it off and closing the garage door should bring up the temperature to above 50 degrees. Just make sure to do the hood last. :)

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
What PhilH said! (50 deg or above) however if its close to that temp outside, bring your wax in overnight and warm it up, it will make it easier to apply on a cold surface.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice

Makes sense, guys. I just waxed my other car in the garage a few nights ago, and it's a pain in the ass because I have bad lighting. But it may be my only option, and I want to get it done before the weather gets too bad.

Rip - is the temp of the wax more important than the air temp? So I could wax @ 40 degrees as long as the wax is warmer?

While I'm on the topic - what do you guys use to apply carnuba? I've always used the applicator pads, but I've heard of people using their fingers to help heat the wax. Thoughts??

Slida

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
I wouldn't recommend under 50 deg. because the surface of the finish is gonna be cold, may be difficult to remove. Do a test area first and see what the results are when your ready to wax, thats the best way, get a feel for it.

Yes, I've heard of folks applying by finger wax, insane IMO, and would take too long. I use Griots red pads to apply the wax with a porter cable. The 3" finger pads they sell are great for the tight areas, such as bumpers etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts