BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone, I had a funny thing happen yesterday, when I pushed the button for the windshield defroster. Runaway heat ! Of course I can overcome this problem by switching over to manual, but every time the system is on auto and you push the defrost button, this happens. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Klause

·
Registered
976 Posts
What does "runaway heat" mean?

Lots of heat on the windshield?

Lots of heat in the cabin?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have over complicated my description of the problem. I have no control of the temperature in the windshield defrost mode. It goes full heat on the windshield the minute that you push the button
Klaus

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,538 Posts
That is correct, a feature, not a bug.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At what point does this feature lower the heat and fan speed ? Ours keeps going until it's unbearable in the car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
At what point does this feature lower the heat and fan speed ? Ours keeps going until it's unbearable in the car.
When you push the defrost button it goes full speed and heat, that's just what it does. If you want to control the windshield heat you have to push the button that has the arrow going up, then you can the adjust heat and fan.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When you push the defrost button it goes full speed and heat, that's just what it does. If you want to control the windshield heat you have to push the button that has the arrow going up, then you can the adjust heat and fan.
This button controls windshield air flow

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to thank all of you for the quick responses to my questions. Obviously my problem was not a problem at all. Not really explained in the owners manual.
Thanks again,
Klaus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts