Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some insight. My 08***8217; 535xi is throwing all kinds of fault codes. Transmission error. Passenger restraint system. Wiper malfunction. AWD,DSC, ABS, EBV, ErmergEBV. The mirrors and front windows switches don***8217;t work. I***8217;m not sure what system could of been fried. Trying to narrow the connection down.

What happened was other than an idiot move. And I know it was. So please spare me the lecture. I was hooking up the diagnostic scanner to get familiar with read outs of sensors, and know the values etc. The scanner was dead. And on my connector there is an aux port. So I hooked the auxiliary port to cigarette lighter connected I have into the cigarette lighter hoping the charge the scanner as I am using it. To simplify, the scanner was hooked up the the diagnostic port and the cigarette lighter while connected to the scanner.
I***8217;m sure I sent voltage back into the system where it shouldn***8217;t have went. Now, these problems above I am having. Any tips on spearheading this electrical system diagnostic.?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Possibly the Body Gateway Module (BGM)

- Check fuses as has been said but I am afraid this is a long shot. The fuses protect power supply to the module. If you sent power through the canbus then the module itself could be shot.

The BGM handles many of the cars functionality and it is also a communications path (gateway) to a few other network communication buses.

you can get a used one but will need to learn how to program or take it to someone who can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments thus far. I have the manuals and it seems the the BGM is under the hood closer to the windshield in the center.. I still am unsure if it***8217;s inside the dash?!? Or if it***8217;s under the cover where the cabin filters live.. I don***8217;t really know how to check the unit itself thought. Would it be the same back from voltage drop test or online circuit test that could verify this?! Thanks for the input. Tomorrow will be the morning I***8217;ll start to trace my damage. I***8217;ll be checking the fuses also due to the front and passenger window control not working at all..

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The windows are operated from the BGM

The BGM is located under the glove box

I doubt you will be able troubleshoot that computer module via some sort of hardware/voltage diagnostic

Get yourself a proper code reader specifically for BMW cars and read out the codes.

Edit: I forgot you said you had a scanner. Which one? Why would it be dead? They run from the power of the OBD port.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I***8217;ll have to get into the glove box and take a look. I bought one called Xtool 400. I needed it charged and doesn***8217;t seem to charge from the diagnostic port. The layout is great and it has a smooth operation so far. Great for battery registration. Live data code readout. Anything you would expect out of a scanner. But doesn***8217;t seem to charge up from the diag port. That***8217;s why I thought to plug it from the cigarette lighter and caused this mess

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I***8217;ll have to see if I can plug up directly the the BCM maybe test the operation through the scanner.
1 thing I forgot to mention now that you brought that up was I tried to activate the front window switches and mirror operation via diagnostic scanner but to no avail. I could not even get voltage to the unit to work. So that might be a sign that something is fried right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tested around. Fuse fixed this. Safety and gateway module fuse controlled all of those things. Needed to reset the power windows again. And re calibrate the mirrors. Got lucky

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would appreciate some insight. My 08' 535xi is throwing all kinds of fault codes. Transmission error. Passenger restraint system. Wiper malfunction. AWD,DSC, ABS, EBV, ErmergEBV. The mirrors and front windows switches don't work. I'm not sure what system could of been fried. Trying to narrow the connection down.

What happened was other than an idiot move. And I know it was. So please spare me the lecture. I was hooking up the diagnostic scanner to get familiar with read outs of sensors, and know the values etc. The scanner was dead. And on my connector there is an aux port. So I hooked the auxiliary port to cigarette lighter connected I have into the cigarette lighter hoping the charge the scanner as I am using it. To simplify, the scanner was hooked up the the diagnostic port and the cigarette lighter while connected to the scanner.
I'm sure I sent voltage back into the system where it shouldn't have went. Now, these problems above I am having. Any tips on spearheading this electrical system diagnostic.?
And you cleared them and scanned again and still has them? Or it blew your scanner also? I personally scan several times before I believe the code :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my scanner turned out ok. It hasn***8217;t thrown any check engine light or anything and seems ok. But there are and have been some fault codes within the modules that aren***8217;t going away. Communication issues for the signals, and other electronics yet they all still work?!? I***8217;m still getting used to the scanner and need to be familiar with the cars values to be able to determine a fault and know where to diagnose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts