BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 325es. Several problems... #1 Starts Ok then if you go somewhere and then start again belches smoke and runs awful. Very rich uses lot's of fuel. Have replaced mass airflow, new plugs as well. Any ideas would help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Electrical issues

My mechanic who looked at some problems I did not want to deal with mentioned my fuel was rich. They told me that connector 191 was corroded. This is part of the control system that controls the amount of fuel the injectors inject. They have told me to consider replacing all electrical parts but the main harness. These parts cost over $100. The harness costs $200.

·
Registered
212 Posts
* Possible O2 sensor failure, but I have driven my eta without a O2 sensor for awhile and it ran fine.
* Possible stuck, leaking or fouled injectors.
* Cold start injector/system always operating.
* Fuel pressure probably too high.
* Ignition spark weak or incorrect.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
A leakdown test is when you put compressed air into a cylinder with both valves closed aka TDC. If it loses pressure or you can hear air escaping into you exhaust or intake then you have sourced a wear point.

If it is excessive then it's time for an overhaul on your engine.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Maybe take your foot out of it from time to time.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I know my e30 318i only gets around 390 kms to 400 around town,I have no idea if this is any good for an e30 or what,i had a 78 528i and rekon it used less juice:dunno:

I think the little 4 banger has to work harder to get any were again:dunno:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
AusBmw said:
I know my e30 318i only gets around 390 kms to 400 around town,I have no idea if this is any good for an e30 or what,i had a 78 528i and rekon it used less juice:dunno:

I think the little 4 banger has to work harder to get any were again:dunno:
That's 16.3 mpg that pathetic. give that thing a tune up or stop redlining it constantly.

I get 345 miles consistently with my 325i while driving in town and highway mixed. That's 23 mpg.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thing is mate it get a visit to my mech every 6 months,he said fuel to air ratio is good,get new oil every six months new plugs every 12,AT oil every 12,out side of that i think it just my foot,after comming out corners at lights and what not i shoot it stright up to like 3500 rpm some times 4000,you have no idea wht it's like to drive here in sydney there all very impatiant drivers,it's a rat race here! You get very feral looks by drivers if you to slow,as if to say move that brick wall!

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
I'd definately check my cold start valve if I were you. Since it's so warm lately, try just unplugging it, and running a tank of gas without it, and see if it improves. It'll probably take a little longer to start, but wouldn't hurt anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts