BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to the local dealer to see if they had any 335 6MT M Sport cars on the lot. Unfortunately no luck there, but they did have two M sports available. Both were Mineral Grey which is a beautiful color and both were auto 328's. I've never driven a BMW before, so I decided to take one for a quick spin anyway. Here are my impressions

Engine
Man, the I4 does not feel like a 4 cylinder. It really does feel like a good sized 6. I liked having the power on hand when I needed it. This was also the first turbo powered car I've had the fortune to drive. I didn't notice too much turbo lag. Don't really have anything to compare it to though. The exhaust note is not as loud as I would like it to be, but I'd replace the factory exhaust anyway so that's not a big deal. Overall the engine was smooth, punchy, and the auto tranny seemed pretty smooth. I'd still like to drive a 335 just for comparison though as I'm leaning that way. However, if I can save a bit of money on the engine it would be nice to put that money towards more options. We'll see.

Steering
Heard people a bit worried about the electronic steering when this car was first announced. I thought it felt pretty good. It did have a slight sense of "disconnectedness" to it, but I'm wondering if that feeling was influenced by other people's opinions. It didn't bother me one bit though.

Steering wheel
The steering wheel alone is worth the price of M Sport admission. It just feels perfect in your hands and i like that it seemed to let me see more of the instrument cluster. It also helps that it's just plain beautiful.

Technology
Wow. This thing is loaded with gadgets. I could sit there for well over an hour just going through the menus. Touch sensitive preset buttons are a nice touch.

Heads-up display
Man, that's cool. The display looks like it's just floating out in space. It's a novelty, but cool nonetheless. My problem is that I wear polarized sunglasses and I really can't see it when I 'm wearing them. I actually couldn't tell that it was on at first. That's too bad though because I really like it. I'd get "regular" sunglasses, by my eyes are pretty sensitive to light after having corrective surgery.

Client Advisor
By far the best experience I've had at a dealer. The dude was laid back, genuine, and didn't try to "qualify" me while I was driving. It was nice to be treated like a person instead of another potential paycheck. He also owns a BMW, so it was nice to know that I was dealing with a fan of the product. They happen to have a black sapphire 6mt 328 M Sport coming in next week, so I'll be seeing him again when I go back to give that one a shot.

Overall
This is a damn nice car. I've owned an Infiniti G35 coupe in the past which I thought was nice. Aside from exhaust note this car kills it. Cabin noise is pretty low. Fit and finish is top notch. Standard features are about what you'd expect them to be in this price range. Interior feels modern which is a complaint I've had about the previous models and a reason why I've not looked into them. I just wish that heated front seats and Comfort Access sans hokie pokie trunk opening were standard. A $25,000 Subaru has it as a standard feature! I want leather and a moon roof anyway, so I'll just opt for the premium package.

I don't think the dealer will ever have the exact car I want, so I'll probably have to build it. I'll probably do PDC too since I live in SC. If I have to build it can I expect to pay full price for it or will they still work with me on pricing? Oh, and what is VDC? Saw someone get a black kidney bezel and said something about going through VDC to get it.

· Swedish Murder Machine
8,671 Posts
There's no reason you can't negotiate a similar discount on a custom order car as what you can negotiate for one that is on the lot. VDC is the vehicle delivery center, which is where new BMWs arrive in the US, to be prepared for dealer delivery.

· Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know about custom ordering. When I bought my G35 the first dealer I talked to tried to get me to pay full price because I had to order it.

· Swedish Murder Machine
8,671 Posts
Good to know about custom ordering. When I bought my G35 the first dealer I talked to tried to get me to pay full price because I had to order it.
Every dealer is different.... depending on where you are there might be several that you can put in a price request with. Sometimes the best "deal" is not with the dealer who offers the lowest price.

· Registered
76 Posts
I custom ordered my 335 through Century BMW in Greenville, SC. My CA worked with me on the price, and I was able to bring it down about $2500 off MSRP. Some may not think that's a great deal, but it was better than I thought it would be. Of course most of the time the best deals are going to be on the cars in inventory.

Oh, and you'll love PCD.

· Registered
3,283 Posts
you should be able to get 2500 easy off msrp, plus the 750 for bmw finance, plus 300 for the iphone app

· Registered
762 Posts
Check out 335i

;);)
Before you make a decision, test drive the 335i. You won't be dissapointed. As I suspected, it will be difficult to find a 6MT. You might have to call around, especially in a 335i. Yes with BMW's , you can still negotiate even if it is a custom order. Don't settle for something off the lot. Go to BMWconfig or Edmunds and do a build. There are so many different items to choose when custom ordering. The PDC is awesome, espeiclally living in SC, no brainer !! Have fun in your quest, don't let it stress you out.:bigpimp::thumbup:;)

· Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice SD. I'm also currently building a house, so buying a car is nothing compared to that stress. I'm definitely taking my time though. I want to see all of the colors in person and definitely drive a 335 even if it's an auto. I just want to see the difference in power. I'm even considering waiting to see official 4 series pictures. I just worry that bmw is going to charge a premium to have less doors. I'm trying to keep the price as close to 50k as possible.

· Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the advice SD. I'm also currently building a house, so buying a car is nothing compared to that stress. I'm definitely taking my time though. I want to see all of the colors in person and definitely drive a 335 even if it's an auto. I just want to see the difference in power. I'm even considering waiting to see official 4 series pictures. I just worry that bmw is going to charge a premium to have less doors. I'm trying to keep the price as close to 50k as possible.
coupes are always more whether they make it a 4 series or not. 50K pricing would be pretty tough for a coupe

· Registered
765 Posts
I custom ordered my 335 through Century BMW in Greenville, SC. My CA worked with me on the price, and I was able to bring it down about $2500 off MSRP. Some may not think that's a great deal, but it was better than I thought it would be. Of course most of the time the best deals are going to be on the cars in inventory.

Oh, and you'll love PCD.
So $3650 off invoice weren't shabby then.

· Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
coupes are always more whether they make it a 4 series or not. 50K pricing would be pretty tough for a coupe
hmmmm, that sucks. Not that I don't like the sedan. Just want to have the choice if possible.

· Registered
762 Posts
New Home ! Congrats Too !

My Father was a General Building Contractor, so I understand what you are going through on the Homefront Too. But building a new Custom Home is a great Experience too. The 4 Series is supposed to have a Horspower increase from 300 to 325 I think. It will be more expensive than a 2013 335i. 335i's are in short supply. Most dealers are getting lots of 328's but very few of the 335i. Today , I went to my Dealer where we leased our newest 335i BMW of San Diego, I asked my CA do you have any 335i's ? Not one on the lot. None to test drive either. We had previously ordered 2012 335i Melbourne Red , but it was a South African build and we wanted a German Build, the car finally came after we cancelled our order, It sold in 2 days at Full Sticker Price ! Good luck with your search for the perfect 335i and on building your dream Home:thumbup:;):bigpimp::bigpimp:;)

· Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,550 Posts
+1 - the coupe will be at least $2k more for the exact same car, although it will probably have a few more standard features.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.