BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Nice pix!

You know, as much as I love my Sony (I have the DSC-S75, and before that, the DSC-S50), I can NEVER take pix like that!!

All this time I thought I was just a lousy photographer. Now I realize it was the camera all along!!

:)

I'll prolly get the bug to trade up for something new after the X-mas sales. I'd like to have a Nikon (I've always loved that song: "I've got a Nikon camera, love to take a photograph, please don't take, my koda-chrome away...") or a Canon (perhaps the G2?

Guess I should be spending less time here and more time over at dpreview to see what our ol' Phil has to say about high-res (prolly need 5Mp this time) cameras these days...

:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: Re: took some pix with my Nikon coolpix 995

geomax said:

Suggestion: to bring out the detail and color of the car, take pics in sunlight, no shadows.
Actually, you want to avoid direct sunlight, since you'll get the harshest shadows in direct sunlight. Softer lighting (overcast skies, for example) will allow you to catch both shadows and highlights (or at least give you a fighting chance at doing so). In direct sunlight with Color film, you can either capture shadows or highlights, but not both (color film really only has a 3 stops range - anything outside of that will be either very dark, or very bright; neither will have any detail). Most often you'll end up with 'blown' highlights, where there's no detail.

This assumes, of course, that you're not going to 'digitally' manipulate the image :D

Me, I expect to take some B&W shots of my forthcoming 330ci with my 4x5 field camera. Make some nice prints, frame 'em, hang 'em, and be able to stare at my car while I work :thumb:

This is so cool - I can mix my two fav pastimes - photography, and talking about my car :thumb: :thumb:

I'd sooner be talking about driving my car tho...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Re: Re: Re: took some pix with my Nikon coolpix 995

Andawyr said:

Actually, you want to avoid direct sunlight, since you'll get the harshest shadows in direct sunlight
True, true...in this shot, you'd be hard pressed to find a shadow. Downside, is that colors tend to be blunted a bit - I love vibrant color in a photo (JPinto's and Plaz's pics are great!)

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: took some pix with my Nikon coolpix 995

geomax said:

True, true...in this shot, you'd be hard pressed to find a shadow. Downside, is that colors tend to be blunted a bit - I love vibrant color in a photo (JPinto's and Plaz's pics are great!)
Now that's a nice pix.

LIL Raja

1 - 11 of 11 Posts