BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im waiting on my friends to forward me the vid's but until then the car ran 13.8 twice. highest speed was 102 mph.
only have jb2. everything is stock. had traction control off and put car is DS mode.
hopefully soon i will have the vids up.
are these times the same that everyone else has had?
my car is auto as well.
reaction time was .7

·
Black Squared
421 Posts
Sounds fun!

You say your reaction time was .7? I can't cast stones as I've never been to the track...but I thought a 'good' reaction time was .15-.25.

Or was your 60 foot time .7? That too is high for 'drag racing' but if you are on stock tires/suspension and in a 'sporting', and not a 'drag' car, then sweet!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.7 of a sec reaction... I left the time slipes in my pocket and my grandma washed my pants so dont have the precise 60ft time but i think it was a little over 2.0.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh I didnt or couldnt launch so thats why my start was kinda slow. 1st time at the track so.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh haa found it.
1st run
.725 reaction
2.309 60ft
6.024 330ft
9.049 1000ft
1/4 time 13.861
102.25 mph

2nd run
.706 reaction
2.25 60ft
5.99 330ft
9.047 1000ft
13.896 1/4 time
101.77 mph

·
NADAVAN
631 Posts
That's not a bad time at all. Don't worry about RTs too much. IIRC, 0.400 is perfect for professional drag racing. If you had fun though, it was worth it. Now you know where you're starting from and you can try to improve if it's important to you. That's the attitude I try to take when I autocross - my car is severely underdriven, but I'm going as fast as I can go. I have fun though.

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
That's pretty slow for a JB2'd 335i. A stock 335i should do it in about 13.6.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no launch. its auto so shifting is all on the car. had a car seat in the back and a 1/4 tank of gas. also weather and track were perfect

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
What is JB2 ? I have heard talk of JB3 as well. Is this a chip for the car ? How much are they and where can i get the specs? Will it void the warranty ?

·
President
8,099 Posts
i thought .500 was the best reaction time

anything under is a red light, disqualification... :dunno: for sure

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
There are MANY factors involved that effect the ET on these test runs including traction, driver skill, launch technique, weather conditions, altitude of track, wind, quantity of fuel and other weight in the vehicle, etc., etc.

Been there, done that. :thumbup:
13.8 is still slow for a tuned 335i. Can't dispute that one :p

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
Maybe not if the track is at an altitude of 5,000 ft. in Colorado? :angel:
At 5,000 ft in CO the 335i should actually be doing better because of the lower intake temperatures. Turbo's like the colder weather.

But, he's in Katy, TX. I know the area; it's hot. All the time.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Sounds fun!

You say your reaction time was .7? I can't cast stones as I've never been to the track...but I thought a 'good' reaction time was .15-.25.

Or was your 60 foot time .7? That too is high for 'drag racing' but if you are on stock tires/suspension and in a 'sporting', and not a 'drag' car, then sweet!
A .7 second 60 foot is not high. Quite the opposite. Pretty much impossible.

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
For every change in temp of 10 degress F there is an ~1% change in power. Hot weather = less power. Low baro = less power. High track altitude = less power. Head wind = slower ET. Driver technique can equal 2-3 tenths with an auto and more with a stick. ;)

Do you know what the temp, baro, altitude, vehicle weight, model and the driving technique used when BMW tested their 335i? It all matters. ;)
Car and Driver (I think it was them) tested the 335i auto and found it a tenth faster than the 6MT. So take that for what it's worth ;)

I'm fairly familiar with all the factors associated with racing in general and I still say 13.8 is slow for a 335i auto. Which only means that the OP needs to drive his car faster more often :thumbup:

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
He just needs to find a track at sea level or below and about 32 F temps like Englishtown, NJ in March and he'll run real fast times. :angel: There are some down hill, short tracks in TX but you need to run them when it's cool to get bogus fast ETs. ;)
Texas gets pretty cool in the evenings ('round 50-60F, maybe lower depending on the area) and wikipedia says that Katy, TX is 141 ft above sealevel.

But yeah, all the OP needs to do is drive it more. Get used to the car and, even in an auto, quicker times will come.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
would an auto car with Step be faster in DS or would it be faster to put it in manual and let the car shift at redline by force?

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
JB2 is basically a lower-end JB3. You can find info on them at burgertuning.com. Yes, it is a chip. Yes, it can potentially void your warranty but BMS has taken precautions to avoid that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts