BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the S4 and M3 track times and I can't believe the S4 is faster on the track than the M3!!!

That just sucks!! :mad:

·
Go Gators
10,339 Posts
The problem with the M3 is that it suffers from understeer where as the S4 drives with all four wheels so it doesnt get understeer or oversteer.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I'm sure the M3 is more fun than the S4. Which matters more to me than a couple secs off a track time.

·
Go Gators
10,339 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
I'm sure the M3 is more fun than the S4. Which matters more to me than a couple secs off a track time.
:stupid:

Still, it is pretty sad that a sports coupe is beaten by a family sedan.:eeps:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first post here!!! I'm actually considering an M3, S4 or C55 AMG within the next few months. Do you have a link to the vid? I'm surprised as well. (btw right now the M3 is at the top of my list)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I hope that BMW can step it up a couple of notches for the upcoming M...of course...if they follow the line they have been...it should be within the same performance as of the M5...in which is nice...but not all that exciting...

If the S4 made it's way around the track a couple of seconds faster...I could only imagine what the RS4 will do...Sorry...the spyshots don't amuse me....and that RS4 is looking better and better...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
jmg703 said:
(btw right now the M3 is at the top of my list)
Should be the only thing on your list!!!!

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
Couple of questions...

Is it an S4 or an RS4?
Is it an E46 or E92 M3?

I mean, Audi's brand new smallish hotrod *should* be able to outdo BMWs 5 year old technology. That's what the S4 is: Audi's answer for the M3. If this is a stock S4 beating an E92 M3, then we might have a problem.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
The S4 is a 4 door M3. Far from a family sedan. Or have we forgotten the M3 4 door.

And the new M3 will be available in a 2 door, 4 door, and wagon. The M3 is a consumer grade sports car just like the S4. It would take a lot of work to make either a bona fide track car.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
chuck92103 said:
Or have we forgotten the M3 4 door.
They made an ///M3 4-door? ;)

And the new M3 will be available in a...wagon.
Don't tease me. My guess is that even if they *do* make a wagon, there's a 99.9999999999999999999999% chance that it won't see the North American market.

And, lest we all forget, Audi is also owned by Porsche. and those cars don't suck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'd still take the M3, sorry.
JL

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I wouldn't put ot much stock in the TopGear results. It was one lap between similiarly powered cars with a very key difference. The Audi S4 is AWD, which makes it easier at first go to exploit the full potential of the car. Yes, the STIG is a great driver, but the M3 and S4 are not cars he races daily. They are both 'new' to him and so the benefit is not a performance issue ultimately between the two cars but a driver comfort issue.

Suprisingly, even with a 5yr newer design the E46 M3 still gives the AUDI fits. And, the ZCP trim really makes it no contest between the outgoing E46 M3 CS and the present B5 S4.

Why? EVO a couple of months ago tested the upcoming B5 RS4 against the E46 M3 ZCP and gave the victory to the later. Performance numbers and track numbers were better.
Even the blokes at Car and Driver only got a better 1/4 mile time relative to the outgoing M3.

Makes you only imagine how much of a beast the E92/E90 M3 is going to be.

·
Registered
316 Posts
wheel-man said:
Makes you only imagine how much of a beast the E92/E90 M3 is going to be.
not to dispute your reasoning....but the conclusion has already been told by the latest M5...look at those numbers and understand...from what BMW has produced thus far...should be identical....

now...to me....it's all about looks and the guts...otherwise...the performance has already been seen...and from spyshots that I've seen(I understand may be entirely different) are not very flooring to me...of course...neither is the RS4...but it has a very impressive interior...not to mention AWD...

I just hope that BMW comes up with something impressive....heck...the 335 caught me by surprise...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
dawgbone said:
I just hope that BMW comes up with something impressive....heck...the 335 caught me by surprise...
They will... oh, they will. For something wicked this way cometh. Somthing very wicked. :eeps:

:thumbup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think both the M3 and S4 are awesome cars. I swapped cars with my friend who owns a 2005.5 S4 on the track and the S4 handles and accelerates comparable to the M3. It's a bit heavier around the corner but quattro compensates for it. The only thing that sucked about the S4 was that tiptronic piece of crap.

I think the new 2007/2008 M3 will be comparable in performance to the Audi RS4.

·
CF-R ///M3
104 Posts
I believe you've confused the Audi RS4 against the M3. I think a more appropriate race would have been the M3 CSL versus the Audi RS4. The M3 blows away an S4 - I've even done it with my convertible against not only the S4 4-door and the S4 Convertible.

·
CF-R ///M3
104 Posts
BTW, there are a few things that can be done to correct the understeer problems of the M3. Obviously the Quattro system works very well on twisties, but correct the understeer and I'd take the M3 on the track any day. I've also owned 2 Audi and know the characteristics of that car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts