Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
2003, 3.0, 65k, garaged original motor - no issues (plus I've never had the sticky steering as well!)

·
52Silverfox
19 Posts
2003 2.5i Roadster E85/M54. Bought used 10/14 w/ 80k. Today 112,876. Original engine. No engine problems to date, just some control module failures; shocks, top hydraulic motor, brakes, tires since purchase. Day driver in Houston.

·
Kirk
52 Posts
Build date is April of 2003. I am second owner, got it at 51K five years ago and now at 65K. Top motor went out in first year I owned it (car would have been nine years old); replaced under extended warranty from dealer. Always garaged with mine ownership, and seldom with the top up unless caught in the rain (twice in five years!)!:drive:
Did you buy the extended warranty or just call the dealership. Mine just went out...

·
Registered
122 Posts
10/2008 e86 3.0si
Long runs until 60k mi
Then daily driver up to 90k
200km on racetrack (engine gets quite hot during such sessions) and short trips sporty driving, now 101k miles
Parked outside only

Rear quarter panels: rust on lower mount. I***8217;ve checked for used parts but they also seem to be slightly affected in the same area.

Recently replaced the timing chain. It was doing some noise but it doesn***8217;t look bad.
Oil pan gasket, valve cover, filter gasket, very minor oil leaks...all replaced.
Control arms replaced: I hit a kerb but I didn***8217;t notice anything wrong
after that: the mechanic suggested the replacement.
On the visual inspection of the engine during the timing chain replacement job, the engine seem to look very well, no signs of wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is a 2003, build date, Dec 2002. Has 160,000 km on it (just over 100,000 miles). Ive had it for nine years, never garaged except for the winter months.
I try not to drive it in the rain, and clean the drains every two years. Top motor is the same now as when i bought the car. There is no rust anywhere on the car, have had mechanics check when its on the hoist also

·
NSleeper
3 Posts
2004, 3.1L ....drove it off the showroom floor. Just turned 100,000 miles. Still love my beautiful Z4.
Now, what to do about maintenance on the transmission. Should I drain a little out of the pan periodically, or power flush the whole thing??
No major problems with the motor, except the annoying sticky steering. Particularly since I live in Florida.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mines only got 40K miles on but it's lived outdoors through 4 winters now, The post is fairly pointless though, The roof on mine goes down a couple of times a day all through sunny months, so mileage compared to motor use is relatively irrelevant. Keeping the drains clean is, My roof motor failed about 3 years ago, it was covered in rust and sludge but generous coating of WD40 got it going again and I relocated it to the boot, It's worked fine ever since. I think they stop when the bushes get stuck in their slots, the motor seems very well built but I suppose as a mechanic dealing with a customer I would want to fit a new one as there is a fair bit of labour getting to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
70K 2003 3.0i 3rd Owner
Top motor looked original to me and like new. I had to replace the hydraulic actuators (rebuilt).

Now relocated out of the well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't claim the longest, but maybe I can claim the most motors to date. :)

Original factory motor replaced under warranty by 1st owner approximately 2009. (Wet corrosion failure)

Replacement motor replaced by me May 2014 after I bought the car. (Wet corrosion failure)

Motor replaced again January of this year. (Hydraulic pump bypass valve fractured)

Replaced with factory new /rebuilt or salvaged engine? Please explain Wet corrosion failure. Interesting.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Replaced with factory new /rebuilt or salvaged engine? Please explain Wet corrosion failure. Interesting.
This is a top motor thread and my post was referencing the number of times the top motor has been replaced in my car, not the engine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine went last year. I was putting the top down and manually. I ended up breaking the plastic part that covers the front of the top and secures the liner. At $600 + $80.... I'm just not fixing it anytime soon, I'm moving on. Total parts will be about 1280-1680. I just am not concerned with it. But, there were signs of the motor going out... delays slow, iOS and downs, unlatched and not movement in less tapped/motivated.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts