Bimmerfest BMW banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Top Motor

2003 - 119k - 4th or 5th owner - Owned almost 4 years - Garged at home and work - clean drains once a year - Knock on wood - Haven't had to replace !he motor yet!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought my 2006 in 2015 and didn't get a service history (the dealer who sold it new and serviced it for the original owner would not provide it to me.) Since I've had it, it's been garaged and rarely out in the rain. I cleaned the drain tubes but they didn't have much debris in them. I don't know if there's any way to tell if the motor has been replaced but I'm working on the assumption that it has not and am exercising it as little as possible.

·
Blackpony
3 Posts
Top Motor - Who's motor has lasted the longest?

2005, 120,000 mi, no garage. Original top motor with no maintenance issues. Hardtop used in winter months and Roadster Solutions top cover used in summer to keep rain water away from top motor when parked. Never cleaned drains and now I will find the drains and clean them. Soft top regularly lowered when hardtop removed :roundel:

·
Z4JOEY
14 Posts
noisy top motor?

2007 75k always garaged. My top is making a horrible sound just before it closes. it is on the driver side just before it clicks in to lock. any clues as to what I need to do?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank the Lord I drive a coupe. Seems like every third thread is about top motors. I did run into an interesting older thread in an English Z4 forum. There was a guy there who was relocating the top motor (I guess it is a hydraulic pump so you can lengthen the lines) so that it was in a dry location--seemed to work pretty well from the responses on that thread, but it was maybe a 2012 or 2013 thread.

·
Registered
2007 Z4 3.0si, 2017 X1 xDrive28i
25 Posts
Thank the Lord I drive a coupe. Seems like every third thread is about top motors....
Hi, Patrick -
I've driven 7 different convertibles over the past 20 years (models from 1967 to 2012) and they all have their own issues, it is true.

But when the top is down and the sun is on our face - that's how we roll! :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2006 z4, 59,000 miles, Top is starting to make a noise and move slowly. Maybe starting to fail.Always garaged, drains kept clean. Any idea what it will cost to get fixed? Have a good independent shop to use here in Sarasota. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At 60,000 miles, my top motor sounds like its failing. Got a quote from a good independent shop for $4000, saying it only made sense to replace most of the parts in addition to motor. Another independant said $1500 for new motor, but wont know till they get acccess. Do any of these prices sound reasonable?? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Z4M, 2nd owner around 52,000 in 2013.Cost covered by extended warranty (turns out a worthwhile investment). Failed about 3 months after purchase. Prior history unknown. Always garaged now, and not driven in the rain. Checked the drains recently. Some debris in rubber plug on passenger side. Honestly the plugs seem like the cause of water buildup. I may remove them on next inspection.

·
Z4JOEY
14 Posts
noisy top motor?

2007 75k always garaged. My top is making a horrible sound just before it closes. it is on the driver side just before it clicks in to lock. any clues as to what I need to do?
Update/had the motor replaced, 900 for the motor & 600 labor, dealer wanted $3300 +tax. Failed motor looked perfect, no rust, but failed

41 - 51 of 51 Posts