BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Sometimes my 05 645 top will not completely close. It will get to the last stage (the last bend that connects the roof to the body) and won't finish. Have anyone ran into this issue? If so was it resolved and how?:dunno:

· Registered
2,035 Posts
You may want to check the thread on this page that deals with the "Top Unlock" issue. You might have a sensor problem.

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have and found no answers. It's just strange how it works sometimes with no problems but other times it gives ne a hard way to go.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Hello all,

Sometimes my 05 645 top will not completely close. It will get to the last stage (the last bend that connects the roof to the body) and won't finish. Have anyone ran into this issue? If so was it resolved and how?:dunno:
The same thing has happened to me twice over the last three or four months (out of probably 40 or 50 cycles). You can hear the motor running but the final step where the locks engage just doesn't happen. I've quickly stopped, reversed by putting put the top back down and tried again (once I turned the engine off and on to reset). Both times it worked the second time just fine. Mine is still covered by CPO, extended service and a dealer warranty on a past top sensor repair, so I'm going to have the dealer check it the next time I take it in. I guess its just another quirk with the top to go along with the others...

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The same thing has happened to me twice over the last three or four months (out of probably 40 or 50 cycles). You can hear the motor running but the final step where the locks engage just doesn't happen. I've quickly stopped, reversed by putting put the top back down and tried again (once I turned the engine off and on to reset). Both times it worked the second time just fine. Mine is still covered by CPO, extended service and a dealer warranty on a past top sensor repair, so I'm going to have the dealer check it the next time I take it in. I guess its just another quirk with the top to go along with the others...
Hey Greg,

Quirk is right. I bet if I were to take it to the dealer even they could not tell me what is wrong. They would proably have me pay for a list of things and it won't solve the problem.

· Registered
30 Posts
I had this same problem intermittently about 6 months ago. At that time I replaced my battery (due primarily to age) - and have not had the problem since. I can't say if there is any relation here, but I wouldn't be surprised if a weak battery may be causing some of your troubles. Just something to consider...

- zesty

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had this same problem intermittently about 6 months ago. At that time I replaced my battery (due primarily to age) - and have not had the problem since. I can't say if there is any relation here, but I wouldn't be surprised if a weak battery may be causing some of your troubles. Just something to consider...

- zesty
Hey Zesty,
Thanks for your input, but the battery is less than 2 yrs old.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Well I had a regular servicing at the dealer and gad them check the top issue described above. The mechanic replicated it, said a sensor was bad and replaced a sensor. I've used it a few times since then and haven't had any issues.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Oh, and the sensor replacement in the vert top was covered under CPO - $50 ain't bad.

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and the sensor replacement in the vert top was covered under CPO - $50 ain't bad.
I don't have a cpo and my extended warranty don't cover this:cry:. The problem has not happen as of late but I know it will return.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.