BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Topping off transmission fluid & Reseting adaptations, input please.....

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Ralph III 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I just serviced my mechatronics unit (seals, trans fluid, new solenoids) in our 2007 530xi and I'd like you to confirm a few things. I performed the same service (minus solenoids) several years ago but I cannot recall all of the specifics.

1. What is the transmission temperature supposed to be at for the final top off of fluid?
2. What is the fill plug supposed to be torqued to? Also, I saw one video where it was suggested that the o-ring on the fill plug be replaced but I don't recall our vehicle having an o-ring? I'll double check that in a minute. Is there a specific o-ring that I should use if such is required?
3. Can someone give specific details on where I go into INPA to perform the following.
a. Check Transmission Temperature.
b. Reset Adaptations. I know I select "E60" then "Transmission" but what specific gearbox do I select as there are four choices (Gearbox Control Mod GS19, Sequential Gearbox SSG, Sequential M-Gearbox, DXC Gearbox VGSG). We have an automatic transmission which allows the manual sport mode shifting of course.
c. Clear all errors.

I installed ISTA+ years ago but it's now saying I must activate it. Consequently, I cannot open it at the moment? So, I'm hoping all of the above can be performed with INPA.

Thanks,
Ralph

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the input F10NZ and the attachment.

quote by F10NZ...."Don't forget that clearing adaptions is only supposed to be done when the fluid temp is above 70°c."
I had not heard of this? May I ask where you got those details from?

quote by F10NZ...."And you must also do an adaption relearn straight after clearing adaptions".
That's not entirely correct F10NZ. You don't have to go through the "relearn" driving process that you are referring to after an adaption reset. The vehicle will relearn on it's own after about 350 miles of driving, no matter. The driving "relearn" steps taken after an adaptation reset is only meant to significantly reduce this learning process. It allows service technicians to return a smooth operating vehicle to an owner. Otherwise, the car may experience some hard shifts if allowed to relearn on it's own. These details come directly from ZF technicians who I spoke to extensively when I first serviced my mecha unit.

God Bless,
Ralph

#9 · (Edited)
Hey F10. I didn't recommend either way.

I just corrected the statement that you said you "must" perform the driving re-learn process which isn't correct. The ZF technicians seemed indifferent as to whether one should go through the driving re-learn process. They only stated that you may experience a few hard shifts, meaning less than smooth, over the 350 miles. They didn't convey any concerns with allowing the vehicle to re-learn on its' own. They only noted the process was developed to shorten the re-learning curve. Even if you do perform those driving sequences, there is no guarantee that you won't experience a hard shift or that you're vehicle will shift 100% smoothly afterward. The car still has to re-learn no matter, having gone through the process several times before.

Take care,
Ralph

#14 ·
Hey F10. I didn't recommend either way.

I just corrected the statement that you said you "must" perform the driving re-learn process which isn't correct. The ZF technicians seemed indifferent as to whether one should go through the driving re-learn process. They only stated that you may experience a few hard shifts, meaning less than smooth, over the 350 miles. They didn't convey any concerns with allowing the vehicle to re-learn on its' own. They only noted the process was developed to shorten the re-learning curve. Even if you do perform those driving sequences, there is no guarantee that you won't experience a hard shift or that you're vehicle will shift 100% smoothly afterward. The car still has to re-learn no matter having gone through the process once before.

Take care,
Ralph
Correct.
I dropped the metatromic, replaced seals and fluid and did nothing but drive it afterwards.
There were no issues.

#12 ·
Thanks Tstiglich. Yes, I let it get to 104 degrees with a stream of fluid coming out for final top off. I reset the adaptations and put it back together last night/morning. The vehicle is driving very smoothly now after having replaced the solenoids and seals. It had gone into fail safe mode prior to servicing it. I'm going to allow the vehicle to relearn own it's own having performed the driving sequence last time.

God Bless,
Ralph