Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So my car's been leaking oil for a while now, and I checked the oil level today on the dipstick and its pretty low. I bought some 5w-30 conventional oil that I found on discount (MOTOMASTER FORMULA 1 5W-30) and plan to top it up until I can do a full tune up and proper oil change in a few weeks when I have time off.

My question is, can I top it up with conventional oil? Or will that cause any problems for me? I did an oil change two months ago with synthetic oil and drove under 500 km since.

Thanks

·
CRISP & CLEAN
4,146 Posts
This topic is a joke right ?
Or you actually serious about
Trying to save money by buying
& putting in the incorrect oil ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll just go out on a limb and say that synthetic is great oil but mostly because it can go longer between oil changes. Wouldn't think running conventional oil could harm your engine as long as you change it more often which seems like your engine is self changing oil every time driven.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This topic is a joke right ?
Or you actually serious about
Trying to save money by buying
& putting in the incorrect oil ?
It's not exactly "incorrect", both are the same grade. Like I said, I'm doing this temporarily until I can get the oil leak diagnosed and possibly fixed within the next week. I'll be doing a proper synthetic oil change when I have time after two weeks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll just go out on a limb and say that synthetic is great oil but mostly because it can go longer between oil changes. Wouldn't think running conventional oil could harm your engine as long as you change it more often which seems like your engine is self changing oil every time driven.
Yeah its just a temporary thing until I have some free time on my hands. I'm gonna run seafoam in the engine anyways so it doesn't make sense to me to top it up with expensive oil that i'll throw out within two weeks. The only thing I was concerned about initially was that mixing synthetic and conventional could build up sludge, but apparently thats just a myth. I'll fill it up tomorrow and report back if my engine explodes lol

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Hi everyone,
So my car's been leaking oil for a while now, and I checked the oil level today on the dipstick and its pretty low. I bought some 5w-30 conventional oil that I found on discount (MOTOMASTER FORMULA 1 5W-30) and plan to top it up until I can do a full tune up and proper oil change in a few weeks when I have time off.

My question is, can I top it up with conventional oil? Or will that cause any problems for me? I did an oil change two months ago with synthetic oil and drove under 500 km since.

Thanks
You'll be fine! With higher miles, I suggest you upgrade to 10W40 instead.

Also you should know that conventional oil is fine to use, the service intervals will be shorter! Make sure it meets stardards for shear! A3 is the minimum:

A1/A5 Requires a HTHS viscosity between 2.9 and 3.5cP at 150C and A3 requires it to be at least 3.5cP at 150C. HTHS is an acronym for High Temperature High Shear and it tests exactly what it implies; oil viscosity under high temperature and high stress.

A5/B5 is the "low viscosity" version of A3/B4, which is more stringent/higher performance than A3/B3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe dumbest question but I'm really new at a bmw.. Is Castrol the best brand of oil for the car or doesn't really matter? I also have an oil leak and for full synthetic oil changes its around 70$ and I still have to top off atleast 4 times between oil changes?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
Maybe dumbest question but I'm really new at a bmw.. Is Castrol the best brand of oil for the car or doesn't really matter? I also have an oil leak and for full synthetic oil changes its around 70$ and I still have to top off atleast 4 times between oil changes?
The best oil has the best specifications whatever the brand. Castrol makes dino oil, synthetic oil, and bean oil.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Castrol is just as good as any other brand, what matters is the rating on the bottle!

ACEA A3/B3 is what you need!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll be fine! With higher miles, I suggest you upgrade to 10W40 instead.

Also you should know that conventional oil is fine to use, the service intervals will be shorter! Make sure it meets stardards for shear! A3 is the minimum:

A1/A5 Requires a HTHS viscosity between 2.9 and 3.5cP at 150C and A3 requires it to be at least 3.5cP at 150C. HTHS is an acronym for High Temperature High Shear and it tests exactly what it implies; oil viscosity under high temperature and high stress.

A5/B5 is the "low viscosity" version of A3/B4, which is more stringent/higher performance than A3/B3
I checked the oil container, and couldn't find anything regarding that information. I will be on the lookout for that when I change the oil later. Is running 10W40 better than running high mileage 5w30? In my city, it reaches -30C in the winter so idk if that affects anything.
thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was searching online and came across this thread http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...valve-stem-seals-possible-short-term-fix.html
I'm planning on following this guide when I change the oil in hopes that any oil leaks would be fixed. Anyone have any experience with using Shell Rotella 5w40? Lots of people seem to have good experience with that stuff, but I'm leaning more towards using a high mileage oil instead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts