BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I changed my oil using the Topsider (was going to just use the ramps, but it started raining just as I was getting home and I didn't feel like screwing around with the ramps in the garage). This is the second time I've used it, and while the first time was a giant PITA, requiring lots and lots of pumping, this time was smooth as silk. The difference? Oil temperature. Last time, it was January and the engine was barely warm. Today, the oil was at operating temperature from running a couple of errands.

I've read that you should warm the oil before doing any oil change, but let me just add my voice to the chorus. It makes using the Topsider much easier.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
johnlew said:
How does it get metallic shavings out? Do BMW garages use it too?
Anything suspended in the oil comes out with the oil. I doubt that there are many metal shavings big enough to sit on the bottom of the pan, but even if there are, I don't know that they are any more likely to drain out the drain plug than they are to be sucked into the Topsider.

Just to hedge my bets, though, I do traditional oil changes periodically, as well.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
johnlew said:
How does it get metallic shavings out? Do BMW garages use it too?
I too plan to do my oil changes using a pump. I have one on order (the damn thing is on back order til next month :mad: )
The assumption is that there are no shavings or any kind of sediments in the oil, as those have been captured by the oil filter.
In addition, will continue to let dealer do changes the traditional way every 15K miles. My changes are suplemental and no matter how I do it, it's not worse than not doing it. So, it's a step up from what the manual recommends already. and I want to do it the easiest way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.