BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one help me, i have just changed the head on my M20 engine, but like the sap i am, i got the Timing slightly off and cannot turn the crankshaft by hand. I now have to loosen the cylinder head and set TDC ....again.

My question is... can i do thins with the Torx head bolts and re-torque them or do i have to get another set? ...obviously the engine has not fired, so they haven't been exposed to heat.

Thanks!
:mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this feasable

Is it a sensible idea to do the following to not have to undo the head bolts

1-Remove the rocker arm retaining clips
2-"encourage" the rocker arms off the valves with a rubber mallet and piece of hardwood
3-rotate crank to TDC position
4-install cambelt
5-rotate crank, reposition rockers and clips on by one as per setting valve gaps

anyone think this might work??

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
It might, and would be worth a shot.

I don't think you can reuse the head bolts. If I understand it correctly, the issue is more about how they stretch when you torque them, rather than the effects of heat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Will the crank not move at all? or will it just move a little back and fourth? have you taken the plugs out?
Other that cam timing or a seized crank, I can only think of:
starter motor stuck engaged with ring gear,
wrong head gasket( too small a bore in gasket, not sure if this could effect the M20?)
something dropped into cylinder...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it's down to the new gasket being too thin and the head being skimmed a little too much, now i need a thicker gasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts