BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Total total newbie... Help and advice desperately sought :)

1498 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Snowbubble
Hi everyone,

I'm almost certain the following statement has been uttered a million or so times in the past, so let me put you in the picture.

2009 135i owner. Driven in the summers. Complete factory spec.

Do my own oil changes, brakes, plugs (etc) - everything always going excellent.

Checked the brake fluid the other day and thought "Hmmm... might want to change that" -- so I looked online and saw a fab video of a guy using INPA to assist in a brake fluid change. Looked awesome.

I'm not a mod-hungry kinda driver, and I love that my car is still in factory spec.

Having said that, I would like to 'dip my toe' into the custom coding world and would like to make the very small modification(s) of having my mirrors fold in using the comfort settings / keyfob and also to have the keyfob close up the windows on locking.

Herein lies the $64,000 question: WHICH SOFTWARE PACKAGE TO INSTALL AND USE?

Holy smokes... I almost feel that I have watched every youtube video of someone loading a different set of applications, read more on the subject than I have ever read books in my life and - other than many personal preferences - I have yet to find any real consensus on "use this, and it'll work"

I've got myself the K+DCAN cable, a nice newish laptop I'm happy to install any OS on and after then my brain starts to hurt... The cable does work as I have managed to read a very small amount from my car - so I feel confident in that aspect.

- The cable came with software: INPA 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 - which connects but doesn't seem to work exceptionally well (my experience).

- I've downloaded "Mikes Easy BMW Tools" but couldn't get it to run (at least in my experience)

- Bimmergeeks had a mocked up version of the BMW Standard Tools - which kinda worked, but I don't speak German... and it looks more stressful that perhaps it is?

Hopefully by this point you're seeing where I'm going with my story... I'm not a complicated kinda guy, not looking to custom map every inch of my car... Just have a nice diagnostics application that will help me change the brake fluid (among other things) and the most relevant version of NCS Exper(t) that'll help me make the mods I'm looking for.

Can someone, anyone, please direct me to "I've got a similar car, I use X. Download this [exact] package from [place], install it and do X. Y and Z"

Happy to follow any YouTube directions --- but I'm just looking for a good software package that'll work with my car.

Very, very thankful in advance guys. :thumbup:

Dazza
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Hello and welcome!

This link is the motherload of software and hardware for the E Series:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638188

You could try and repost it as well in the coding and programming subforum as well, to see if you get more answers.

Good luck!
HI mate,
Ontario here, 12' 128i vert
The first thing I would say, is (if you have not had a BMW or a German car before) be aware of doing simple tasks, these car's often have quirks, which could cost you dearly.

For example a 20 minute plug change took me several hours and several visit's to shops. 10/20 minute youtube videos OFTEN cut out bits... I recently did a oil filter housing gasket, which just looked like 3 bolts.. took me 6 hours, some my fault but luckily I had some experience. So I got by but nearly had a stranded car.

3 things you need to have (not in any order)

newtis.com (its a bmw website - lots of great workshop info)
realoem.com (bmw parts diagram)
Reingold (the official bmw software, for coding, checking codes, running diagnostics, need a special lead and a stand alone computer
it is a program suite, basically you need somthing called ISTA+

I would not even touch a car without reffering to any of the above

The first job I did was an airfilter, took me an hour and needed a couple of special tools

OH, you'll need a torx and e-torx set

The OLDER BMW's were EASIER to work on, the newer ones are a real PITA
Also find a good indy or get to know your dealer... 2 good recommendations are BUDDS
in OAKVILLE and PFFAF on Dixie (I'm in the GTA)

Another thing, don't mess about with non-OEM parts, some get by, I personally would not.
Follow the maintenance and the on board maint schedule. DO NOT SKIMP

OIL CHANGES, I do mine twice a year winter/summer and also just an OIL FILTER only inbetween. ONLY use OEM, BMW, The best way to acheieve longeveity on your engine and the timing chain is REGULAR oil , DO NOT change it as recommended 15k, you and your car will divorce and she will find another driver :)

THROW the runflats away, use XL rated tires, you will wonder how you managed without them, have a tire repair kit or CAA, winter use steelies and summer alloys

In winter I drive box on 16" summer the alloys go back on

I'll put some links to my channel, I've got info on oil changes, spark plug changes and other stuff.

I've been wrenching for nearly 20 years, 15 on German cars, one was a 944, 5 on this 1 series, so I know my shizzle, for thoes that disagree with the above, go toot your horn.

OH depending on the age of the battery... more than 5 years, change it, get a new battery and CODE IT... dont listen to people that say you don't need to...YES YOU DO... Your cars computers lives by the state of your battery.

I've got 21 videos on my BMW

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXv5acD6DWq7psexzK8NM3bRF0Za4zvnL

anything just Holla !

Do my own oil changes, brakes, plugs (etc) - everything always going excellent.
Hey there Gents,

Thanks very much for the kind replies ---- Seems we might hail from the same part of the world mate ;)

Always nice to connect!

Many thanks again all

D
nice !

speak later :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey there Gents,

Thanks very much for the kind replies ---- Jaye mate, I watched a couple of your vids and reached out to you using Mr FB... Seems we might hail from the same part of the world mate ;)

Always nice to connect!

Many thanks again all

D
Awesome matey! Always nice to connect with a fellow expat especially since we're probably not too far away from one another ---- would very much like to learn about your laptop setup - if you've done all that. Give me a shout back on messenger when you have a free moment :thumbup:
...3 things you need to have (not in any order)

newtis.com (its a bmw website - lots of great workshop info)
realoem.com (bmw parts diagram)
Reingold (the official bmw software, for coding, checking codes, running diagnostics, need a special lead and a stand alone computer
it is a program suite, basically you need somthing called ISTA+...

Great information above, thanks.

Just in case there's another newbie like myself, to access newtis use the following

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.