BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my ride next week, and I have several detailing questions...I think I'll break them into pieces to make it easier.

I've read a lot of the archives about washing...and there is a general hate of auto car washes. My problem is the weather - in MN we can't hand wash the cars all year. Is it possible to use the touchless washes, or do I have to find a place that washes by hand in the winter??? How do the rest of you handle this??? All the Canada folks have to be in the same boat....

Thanks,
Slida

·
5,820 Posts
I use touchless all the time in winter with no problem. The only issue I had was that the window trim got cloudy from the soap. Cleaned up with NevrDull with no problem. Under 40 degrees or so, however, the soap does not seem to affect the trim. The choice is, leave the salt and grime all over the car or have it washed often with a stronger soap than you would pick. To me, the soap is far less damaging than the salt and grime and the underbody flush, very high powered in mine, is a blessing. A spring detailing will bring everything back to pristine condition.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Is it true that I cannot wax or buff my new car for the first 6 months to allow the paint to cure?

Of course, I will wash it every weekend, but what are my limitations during the initial 6 months or so? Anything I need to make sure to do or NOT to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
rbright said:
Is it true that I cannot wax or buff my new car for the first 6 months to allow the paint to cure?

Of course, I will wash it every weekend, but what are my limitations during the initial 6 months or so? Anything I need to make sure to do or NOT to do?

Thanks
Not true, by the time you get your car, the paint has had ample time to cure. Go ahead and wax it when you get it, in fact that is the good thing to do. Some dealers like mine, do a coat of wax as part of the PDI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts