BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 325I with an auto and a cracked head. (still running) Parts car is a 90 525 with a m20 and a getrag 260 /16 . I want to take the engine and the tranny and put them in my 325. Engine part is fine but the tranny it would seem has a different output flange than the manual from a e30. It was suggested to me that i might be able to the take the flange off my
forward driveshaft from the auto and put it on the one from the 525 and keep the rear driveshaft that is already in the car. Apparently all of the shafts from the centre bearing back are the same. Is this true? Does anyone have experience with anything like this. Thanks

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
ive been talking to a couple people on a 83 530 5spd tranny to put in my 86 325. and from what a few said, was the only difference is the output shaft of the tranny. and you can swap them, but i dont know about the front half of the driveshaft.

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
i seem to recall my buddy with an 84 5 series using a spare e30 shaft and it was like johnmadd said you just have to flip it around (he swapped the rear end too BTW) dont know if that helps sry

·
obsessed
806 Posts
by changing the whole shaft and keeping it together or marked when seperated will make sure it matches and is in balance. safe move. but if mixing the shaft you match the u-joints up on each half to same exact position. theres a good way to balance it with washers on a work bench, google it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts