BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we know it's a poor design to have wiring go through the hinges of the tailgate. The complaints are many. I have made numerous attempts at mending the broken wires, none of which have lasted. So I finally decide to cut and cap off the wires (on both side in the smaller looms). The main problem is my battery was dead in the morning. I jumped and recharged and again dead battery next morning.
I intend to try to repair the wires which are no longer connected. ( I read somewhere access through the rear speakers is possible, but I haven't yet found them ).
I know there may be broken wires in the larger harnesses too as I've seen photos taken by others tackling this issue.
Why is the battery draining?
I've seen the wiring harness diagrams, but not sure if this also refers the smaller wire looms. Need help figuring out what these wires are intended to operate and best shot at repairing.
Many thanks to any of you gurus with helpful answers.

·
Registered
933 Posts
THe best thing you can do to solve the battery drain is buy a multimeter.

Then you set it to the current amperage draw mode.

Disconnect the battery neg cable and touch the red probe to the batt neg. post and the black probe to the neg batt cable.

MAke sure everything is switched off, go to your fusebox and begin pulling fuses one by one to isolate the draining circuit

once the circuit is found, the multimeter current draw should fall to somewhere around .01 amps.

Fix the offending circuit.

And when repairing the trunk wiring, try splcing an extra length of wire on and use in line wire connectors instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts