BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
retiredat44
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Towing hook the same size for each model? I want to buy a new one, and have searched everywhere, but cannot find a definite answer. Are the towing hooks the same size for all BMW (E30, E39, E46, 3 series, 5 series, etc..) The part number from BMW is not always list in ads. I found a BMW place very close to me with good prices, but was unclear whether it is a walk in store, or Just by mail. Again, people who write stuff are not clear with what they write, and leave me with questions. If They are walk in I will just drive there. 10 minutes.

I found at least 2 tools missing out of my tool kit, the tow
hook and **** changed to some other tool, unknown***. I want to make sure I also have the proper (preferably OEM) tow hook.

Any comments appreciated on what is best. I just want to be prepared.

thanx..
:p

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I would think the proper towing hook should also be listed in one of these threads:
- What do you keep in your trunk for winter emergencies (1) & for all-weather emergencies (1) & pictures of complete rear tool kit contents (cn90) (3-series) & the BMW Rescue Manual for Emergency Services (1)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would think the BMW tow hooks are the same across all the model lines. It would be too expensive to have unique tow hooks for each model considering its function.

Hope this helps...JL

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
Edjack posted a link (if you click it) that shows which BMW models use the same tow hook as the e39. Yes, BMW does use the same part in many different vehicles sometimes...and in this case the e39's tow hook is used on multiple BMW models as well as some Rolls Royce models.

The SUVs use a different tow hook...probably due to some design changest etc...but again, if you look up the part nbr used for your car...you can then paste that same number in the part nbr cross reference feature of realoem.com , bmwfans.info, or http://bmwmobiletradition-onlinecom.x-shops.com/bmw/ (just to name a few) and find out which other BMW models use the same part.

Its' that simple and easy...no need to guess or speculate...and only takes a few seconds. :)

Another example...if you click the 1st link below you'll see all the BMWs that use the same towing hook as the one used for my e53 X5...and if you click the 2nd link you'll see all the BMWs that use the same towing hook as my e38 7 series:

1. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part= 72157070643&showus=on (e53/e60/e63/e65/e70/e71/e83/e85/e88/e90)
  2. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part= 72157203519&showus=on (e31/e38/e39/e46/e52)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would think the proper towing hook should also be listed in one of these threads:
- What do you keep in your trunk for winter emergencies (1) & for all-weather emergencies (1) & pictures of complete rear tool kit contents (cn90) (3-series) & the BMW Rescue Manual for Emergency Services (1)
Bluebee you might to update the complete rear tool kit picture. The current one is missing three tools + warning triangle. I tryed to post link but forum didn't like it.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Bluebee you might to update the complete rear tool kit picture. The current one is missing three tools + warning triangle. I tryed to post link but forum didn't like it.
Warning triangle was available only on Euro models. You could buy it on line from different parts distributors, but NOT from the BMW dealership.
So Bluebee is correct. The triangle is NOT missing. As well as the other "3" tools.
Check in realoem and you will see the difference.

·
25,199 Posts
Bluebee you might to update the complete rear tool kit picture. The current one is missing three tools + warning triangle.
That picture was from cn90.
However ... I 'would' like to add a larger screwdriver, if that's what's missing.
Here is a picture of 'my' toolkit taken just yesterday.

What am "I" missing?

·
25,199 Posts
The triangle is NOT missing. As well as the other "3" tools.
Ooops. I hadn't seen this response from Doru when I posted prior.

So, my toolkit is complete?

I understood about the warning triangles:
- Where to obtain emergency toolkit warning triangles (1)

But what about the other stuff?
Q: What emergency is the s-shaped allen key useful for?
Q: What is the straight tool in the left of Dhoang's toolkit?
Q: What is that socket in the picture from Dhoang?
Q: Are the only emergency nut sizes 8/10 and 12/13 mm?

Photo from Dhoang.

Attachments

·
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Warning triangle was available only on Euro models. You could buy it on line from different parts distributors, but NOT from the BMW dealership.
So Bluebee is correct. The triangle is NOT missing. As well as the other "3" tools.
Check in realoem and you will see the difference.
Well in bluebee post it stated it I quote "complete rear tool kit". That is not complete tool kit. It's just US spec tool kit.

That picture was from cn90.
However ... I 'would' like to add a larger screwdriver, if that's what's missing.
Here is a picture of 'my' toolkit taken just yesterday.

What am "I" missing?
Spark plug wrench, socket wrench, pin and warning triangle.

Ooops. I hadn't seen this response from Doru when I posted prior.

So, my toolkit is complete?

I understood about the warning triangles:
- Where to obtain emergency toolkit warning triangles (1)

But what about the other stuff?
Q: What emergency is the s-shaped allen key useful for?
Q: What is the straight tool in the left of Dhoang's toolkit?
Q: What is that socket in the picture from Dhoang?
Q: Are the only emergency nut sizes 8/10 and 12/13 mm?

Photo from Dhoang.
Q: What emergency is the s-shaped allen key useful for? It is for sunroof.
Q: What is the straight tool in the left of Dhoang's toolkit? The pin for sparkplug and 12mm sockets
Q: What is that socket in the picture from Dhoang? 12mm socket.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Q: What is the straight tool in the left of Dhoang's toolkit? The pin for sparkplug and 12mm sockets.
Don't forget the other use for it, which is a wheel installation tool. Insert the plastic end into the lug hole on the hub and it helps support and align the wheel with the lug holes.

Any errors in this post are purely Swype's fault, not mine.

·
25,199 Posts
Q: What emergency is the s-shaped allen key useful for? It is for sunroof.
Q: What is the straight tool in the left of Dhoang's toolkit? The pin for sparkplug and 12mm sockets; also used to align wheel lug holes.
Q: What is that socket in the picture from Dhoang? 12mm socket.
Very nice information. It certainly was not intuitive to me what all these things were for.
I'm still a bit confused about the size of one of the sockets ...

The spark plug wrench is clearly a 16mm deep socket (or 5/8", which is the same thing).
The realoem parts lists says it's a "supplement SW16", which I will loosely interpret as "socket wrench 16 mm" (I'm guessing here - but it makes sense).

The additional socket is a "supplement SW10", so, shall I assume it's a 10mm socket and not a 12mm socket?

(If so, I can see it being used for the battery cables in an emergency.)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
I always laugh to myself when I see the wheel pins that have never been used. I bet 90% of BMW owners have no clue that the "straight" tool can help facilitate mounting your wheels...as well as being the handle for the spark plug tool. And if you have an e38 seven series it's the best tool ever for releasing the fog lights. It's girth & length is perfect for the slot where you're supposed to insert a screwdriver...but the wheel pin works much better...the fog light pops out so fast & easy, many owners wind up picking the light up off the ground because it releases so fast. :)

Using wheel pin to mount wheel on hub...you can see that my pin gets used...the gray plastic end shows its scars. :)

Stick pin in empty lug bolt hole, the align & slip pin thru hole in wheel, and slid wheel up onto the hub...the pin helps hold it there until you can start a bolt:

·
25,199 Posts
I always laugh to myself when I see the wheel pins that have never been used.
Nice pictures. I've never seen this 'pin' thing before, and especially not in use.

I had never known that I don't even have the wheel pin; now I know why my wheels are so extremely difficult to get onto the lug bolts!

I'm going to add your picture to the composite above to make the composite below.

A) In addition, it would be nice to have a picture of the sunroof crank in use.
B) And, to get confirmation on the socket size (I don't have that either).
C) And do the warning triangles come with the gray plastic case & velcro straps?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Very nice information. It certainly was not intuitive to me what all these things were for.
I'm still a bit confused about the size of one of the sockets ...

The spark plug wrench is clearly a 16mm deep socket (or 5/8", which is the same thing).
The realoem parts lists says it's a "supplement SW16", which I will loosely interpret as "socket wrench 16 mm" (I'm guessing here - but it makes sense).

The additional socket is a "supplement SW10", so, shall I assume it's a 10mm socket and not a 12mm socket?

(If so, I can see it being used for the battery cables in an emergency.)

Good catch, of course it's 10mm. Just a brain fart on my part.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
Here's an old illustration from my old e32 days on how to manually open the sunroof with the "Z" shaped "winder" tool from the trunk's tool kit. I'm not sure if the e38/e39 has a "clutch" as mentioned in this e32 illustration...but this is one of those processes that is basically the same for most BMWs from across multiple generations and decades:

(images below by: mzmtg/BimForums e36 forum)

·
Registered
587 Posts
where is the pin located in the touring toolkit? i am pretty sure i have not come across one in my touring in the two places i know of where these tools are housed.

G~

·
25,199 Posts
where is the pin located in the touring toolkit?
If you have a touring, would you kindly post a picture of your existing toolkit so the team can show you?

EDIT: Thanks QSilver7 for the pictures. I ran a check yesterday but only spent about 15 minutes and couldn't find a picture of it. If we don't find an E39-specific picture, I'll use those.

The point is to give the NEXT person the idea, right off the bat, to start where we left off.

Thanks, as always. You're a saint!

·
Registered
587 Posts
i will post pics when i can get decent light on the touring. i have found where the pin goes, but the pictures will help. i am missing mine. the pin goes in the toolkit in the rear hatch next to the multi-screwdriver. i figure it would have gone under the load floor with the other wheel changing tools.

G~

1 - 20 of 32 Posts