BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find this anywhere previously asked...

My 428i lease is expiring and I'm looking at leasing a 2018 X5 40e to use as my daily driver AND towing the boat come summertime. (Instead of leasing another 430i and buying a Tahoe/Suburban.)

Anyone have serious experience towing with the BMW X5 40e plug-in hybrid electric?

This is for day trips, 1-3 hours or 25-160 miles. Much longer than the electric battery will last. When the battery runs out does it still have the power to pull hills? Will the hybrid keep the battery charged enough for when power is needed?

On my test drive, the dealer said it performs great while towing, but won't back it up with any guarantee. The 40e is rated for 6,000 lbs towing and the tow/hitch package is an available option. My Malibu 23' LSV weighs 3,500 lbs + 1,000 lbs trailer + 500 lbs of gear/fuel = 5,000 lbs.

Tell me all you know!

·
Happily Driving
7,371 Posts
Well, BMW probably wouldn't rate it for 6,000 lbs of towing if it couldn't handle it.....

BMW will intelligently manage the battery charge in certain modes, and the I4 with the turbo is no slouch on it's own. That being said I have no experience so this is all conjecture. Do they have one on the lot that you can take for a test drive and do a preliminary tow run?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I went ahead and leased an X5 40e and added the Stealth Hitch. (Installed it myself. Easy!)

The X5 kicks a$$ towing my Malibu 23 LSV. I put it the boat and trailer on the scale and they weigh in at 5,950 lbs with all the gear and a tank of gas. Now I***8217;ve rented Tahoes and Suburbans to tow before and they are squishy and mushy by comparison. The X5 40e has far superior acceleration, braking and cornering when towing.

After several short trips towing, I got brave and took a trip to Lake Tahoe from Portland, Oregon this summer, 600 miles each way. I had 16-17 mpg and only needed one gas stop in Klamath Falls each way. Not quite as good as the 36 mpg I get as a daily commuter, plugging in every night, but amazing for towing.

No problems going up and down the passes over the Sierra and Cascade Ranges. The X5 always had more to give, even passing uphill and plenty of acceleration up hills. I learned after a couple hundred miles and I would suggest putting the X5 in Battery Save mode on the flat and downhill, saving the juice for uphills. The Auto mode just can***8217;t forecast hundreds of miles ahead.

I***8217;m never towing with anything else again.

I***8217;m looking forward to the X5 45e when my lease rolls.

Great times! Thank you BMW for the sweet engineering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never did any ***8220;manual***8221; or paddle shifting. The 40e always knew where to be. The automatic transmission was great uphill. On downhills, no need to hold a lower gear even. Just set the cruise and any extra speed is turned into regeneration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never did any ***8220;manual***8221; or paddle shifting. The 40e always knew where to be. The automatic transmission was great uphill. On downhills, no need to hold a lower gear even. Just set the cruise and any extra speed is turned into regeneration.
So we're interested in getting a used '17 40e and have the same question on ability for towing. Now that you've been doing this for some time, what has been your total experience? Anything bad that came after using this for a few years? If the battery is depleted how does it impact the towing? What tips do you have for optimizing the power when towing? How is the hybrid working when not towing too?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts