BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone towed anything with a 3 series. I am towing a trailer 1200 miles and I am kind of nervous because the car has 150000 miles.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
njoutlaw88 said:
Has anyone towed anything with a 3 series. I am towing a trailer 1200 miles and I am kind of nervous because the car has 150000 miles.[/QUOTE
Trailer towing is being discussed on e-46 board currently. Assuming you are being reasonable about trailer size/ weight, you need to take the same common sense precautions that apply to taking any 9 yr old/ 150k vehicle on a road trip. Inspect tires(don`t forget the spare!) brakes, belt(s) hoses etc, change oil and most important, Is your cooling system marginal in any way?
The additional "work" imposed by towing could cause failure/overheating. Remember, that if you`re towing a box trailer, not only are you adding lbs but also considerable aero drag.
If it`s not a rental trailer (i.e. yours) be sure to inspect/repack those oft neglected wheel bearings, many trailers have small diameter wheels which spin a gazillion RPM on the highway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts