BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2015 M4, 2017 X6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just joined, after using these forums for a while now. Great source of info.

I think I've found most of the info on here that I was looking for as far as installing a Class III hitch, and was able to find the part numbers 71602156525 and 71602156526 for the E70 X5 Trailer Hitch Kit (Class III) and E70 X5 Trailer Hitch Electrical Kit respectively but cannot find any info on brake controllers. They state that the Electrical Kit contains a Trailer Control Module (AHM), but I assume that is different from a brake controller...

Does BMW not have an brake controller? You would think these vehicles must be tow vehicles in Europe... I've spent a lot of time there and it's not exactly filled with one-ton Super Duty pickups...

If BMW does not have one, what have you guys used, did the dealer install it, and how does it look (where is it attached inside the cabin).

Any info, experience and pictures would be great

Thanks

Michel

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Hi folks,

Just joined, after using these forums for a while now. Great source of info.

I think I've found most of the info on here that I was looking for as far as installing a Class III hitch, and was able to find the part numbers 71602156525 and 71602156526 for the E70 X5 Trailer Hitch Kit (Class III) and E70 X5 Trailer Hitch Electrical Kit respectively but cannot find any info on brake controllers. They state that the Electrical Kit contains a Trailer Control Module (AHM), but I assume that is different from a brake controller...

Does BMW not have an brake controller? You would think these vehicles must be tow vehicles in Europe... I've spent a lot of time there and it's not exactly filled with one-ton Super Duty pickups...

If BMW does not have one, what have you guys used, did the dealer install it, and how does it look (where is it attached inside the cabin).

Any info, experience and pictures would be great

Thanks

Michel
Since you spend a lot of time there you also know that most of trailers are not super sized like in the U.S. X5 is not SUV, it is SAV.

·
Registered
2015 M4, 2017 X6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure... well I have a 4500 lbs trailer, so I'm not "super sizing" either...
That doesn't make it less necessary to have a trailer brake

Thanks for the really useful comment!

Michel

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I've towed several times with my 35d. The heaviest load was hauling a car and the trailer just had a mechanical tongue brake which worked just fine.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Sure... well I have a 4500 lbs trailer, so I'm not "super sizing" either...
That doesn't make it less necessary to have a trailer brake

Thanks for the really useful comment!

Michel
Well I am pitching in. My point is that it is not vehicle designed for super sized trailers that need F350 to tow.
Like SoCaLE39 said, mechanical tongue brake should work fine.

·
Registered
2015 M4, 2017 X6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've towed several times with my 35d. The heaviest load was hauling a car and the trailer just had a mechanical tongue brake which worked just fine.
Good to know... i always assumed brake controllers were necessary, I'll have to look into it

The thing isn't huge... tongue weight is 382 lbs, trailer is 3335 lbs... the GVWR is 4500 lbs but I probably will not even get there.

Thanks

Michel

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Good to know... i always assumed brake controllers were necessary, I'll have to look into it

The thing isn't huge... tongue weight is 382 lbs, trailer is 3335 lbs... the GVWR is 4500 lbs but I probably will not even get there.

Thanks

Michel
If you have concerns about braking, make sure your brake fluid in BMW is less then 2 years old.

·
Registered
2015 M4, 2017 X6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well had a quick look and it seems that by law I need it on anything that's over 3081 lbs, at least in BC. So back to my question I guess. If anyone has had it installed, either by dealer or third party, please let me know your experience.

Cheers

Michel

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,356 Posts
Thats a good law, IMO. Id say over 3500 and/or if you will be towing a lot.

BMW sells a version of the Tekonsha Prodigy... there is a wireless version HOWEVER it had issues due to odd ways in which the BMW DME 'pings' and tests currents to bulbs and modules (the tekonsha would get confused). There are some threads on this but I havent seen much recently

Have a Prodigy hardwired to my F250, total champ- pulls a 14k lb max rated gooesneck and you hardly feel it moving the truck around...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Part number BMW Electric Trailer Brake Controller 82110420082. IMO you do not need brake controller for this trailer, which is pretty small for X5 towing capacity. I am picking up 6,400 lbs dry travel trailer next week.

·
Registered
2015 M4, 2017 X6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a good law, IMO. Id say over 3500 and/or if you will be towing a lot.

BMW sells a version of the Tekonsha Prodigy... there is a wireless version HOWEVER it had issues due to odd ways in which the BMW DME 'pings' and tests currents to bulbs and modules (the tekonsha would get confused). There are some threads on this but I havent seen much recently

Have a Prodigy hardwired to my F250, total champ- pulls a 14k lb max rated gooesneck and you hardly feel it moving the truck around...
Yes I have to agree, and so would many people around me on the road I assume
:)

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2015 M4, 2017 X6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Part number BMW Electric Trailer Brake Controller 82110420082. IMO you do not need brake controller for this trailer, which is pretty small for X5 towing capacity. I am picking up 6,400 lbs dry travel trailer next week.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 M4, 2017 X6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ard,

Thanks for the info. That Prodigy® RF is exactly what I wanted, so I don't have to mount a controller in the cabin.

That is great

Michel

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,356 Posts
Ard,

Thanks for the info. That Prodigy® RF is exactly what I wanted, so I don't have to mount a controller in the cabin.

That is great

Michel
Yes, definitely sweet- HOWEVER, the RF has been problematic in the BMW, so do your homework. (AFAIK you do mount the controller, but you dont WIRE it up to the front.)

Unless you tow a lot, a tethered controller that you just snake up to the front console and somehow attach when you are towing, but otherwise leave in the rear spare tire area would seem like a good solution. I wont let anyone do wiring in my cars, and since I am so fastidious it would be a massive undertaking for me....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849695&highlight=prodigy

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798931&highlight=prodigy

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846256&highlight=prodigy

·
Registered
2015 M4, 2017 X6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, definitely sweet- HOWEVER, the RF has been problematic in the BMW, so do your homework. (AFAIK you do mount the controller, but you dont WIRE it up to the front.)

Unless you tow a lot, a tethered controller that you just snake up to the front console and somehow attach when you are towing, but otherwise leave in the rear spare tire area would seem like a good solution. I wont let anyone do wiring in my cars, and since I am so fastidious it would be a massive undertaking for me....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849695&highlight=prodigy

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798931&highlight=prodigy

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846256&highlight=prodigy
Yes saw that... thanks.

It seems pairing can be a bit of an issue but that once it is paired it is ok. Looks like at that point it no longer relies on the RF... it works even if the controler itself is unplugged from the 12V.

Hopefully it is something I can get resolved because I really like the idea of not having the inside look like a pick up truck. :)

Michel

·
Registered
833 Posts
OP is in Canada, but regardless of your opinion, both BC and every state in the US requires brakes on trailers with gross weight over 3500 lbs, many on over 3,000 lbs, and while those brakes are not required to be electric, most trailers over that have electric brakes for good reasons.

As noted, BMW sells the Prodigy P2 and mounts it in the driver's side cup holder where it is convenient for the driver. It works very well, I might add. I thought I'd miss the cup holder, but it has proven to be a very small loss.

I installed the BMW wiring harness for it myself, and like ARD was concerned the job would be difficult or messy, but it was not. The only evidence of the mod is the controller in the cup holder. The trim panels pop off easily, and pop back in place easily, although you do have to take them in order, you can't start in the middle.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,356 Posts

I installed the BMW wiring harness for it myself, and like ARD was concerned the job would be difficult or messy, but it was not. The only evidence of the mod is the controller in the cup holder. The trim panels pop off easily, and pop back in place easily, although you do have to take them in order, you can't start in the middle.
TBH I then read lpcapital's excellent DIY after I made my comment, (link above) and came away with the revised impression it wasn't too bad. Thanks for pointing this out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just had the brake controller wired and the hitch installed in my X5 35d (planning to pull a light double axle car hauler). The controller looks REALLY familiar (https://amzn.com/B002YIACG8) but comes with a terribly designed BMW bracket IMHO. They expect you to mount the controller in the cup holder? Looks like I wasted $150 on a bracket since I'm using two pieces of HD velcro instead to keep it under the dash near the gas pedal where I can adjust on the fly should I need to.

Here's the part I ordered: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/2736/BMW-ELECTRIC-TRAILER-BRAKE-CONTROLLER

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the brake controller wired and the hitch installed in my X5 35d (planning to pull a light double axle car hauler). The controller looks REALLY familiar (https://amzn.com/B002YIACG8) but comes with a terribly designed BMW bracket IMHO. They expect you to mount the controller in the cup holder? Looks like I wasted $150 on a bracket since I'm using two pieces of HD velcro instead to keep it under the dash near the gas pedal where I can adjust on the fly should I need to.

Here's the part I ordered: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/2736/BMW-ELECTRIC-TRAILER-BRAKE-CONTROLLER

Hope this helps.
Be careful because the angle of the controller changes the proportioning of how much brake are applied (at least on the factory one). You move the unit by hand and your trailer will apply the brakes. You need the bracket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Be careful because the angle of the controller changes the proportioning of how much brake are applied (at least on the factory one). You move the unit by hand and your trailer will apply the brakes. You need the bracket.
I'll keep my eye on it jpropane. But the manual brake control is spring loaded on the bottom of this controller and is out of the way of my feet. I am able to get to it by hand when I need it and the dash is level to keep the controller at the correct angle. However, the controller cable pops out on the right side of the bottom of the dash and I still have the factory bracket, so if I change my mind on the position I can always move the mounting. I'll weigh in on how each mounting location performs after I pull a few loads.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts