BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't tell me to search the forums cause i already did that. i'm planning on towing my boat. my question to those of you that have towed,what gear do you keep your car in with an automatic? i have a 04 x3 with auto. boat is about 3500 lbs.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,693 Posts
D.

·
HMFIC
439 Posts
Does that number include the trailer? Or just the boat?

I'd agree with KJ on the D recommendation. But I'd probably use R to get it into the water...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
should be the total weight. i was just wondering if i should use the sport mode or shift it and keep it in 4th gear.

·
Registered
485 Posts
maybe SD........

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
Why not just select D and let the car figure it out? :dunno:

Cheers

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Why not just select D and let the car figure it out? :dunno:

Cheers
+1. The transmission is smart and can determine the load and shift points.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I live at altitude (approximately 6K feet above sea level) with the nearest town to the west just 45 miles away and at 7200 altitude. There is a summit between at 8640 feet (highest point of the old Lincoln Highway (now I-80) from coast to coast). The car dealerships love the folks that come through here towing things, as a large percentage of them fry their transmissions on the hills. Of course, that's altitude and hills. Nevertheless, you sure you want to tow that boat with an X3?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i haven't bought one yet. i'll probably get the bmw hitch for ease of install and correct wire hook-ups. i looked at other ones that are cheaper but they didn't come with wire kits. they're cheaper but i'd hate to run into fitment problems. also i don't plan to tow it to often.

·
Prefers bhp over mpg
485 Posts
I live at altitude (approximately 6K feet above sea level) with the nearest town to the west just 45 miles away and at 7200 altitude. There is a summit between at 8640 feet (highest point of the old Lincoln Highway (now I-80) from coast to coast). The car dealerships love the folks that come through here towing things, as a large percentage of them fry their transmissions on the hills. Of course, that's altitude and hills. Nevertheless, you sure you want to tow that boat with an X3?
I am towing a 2,800 pound camping trailer here in Colorado (including 8K plus passes) and the X3 has been an excellent choice for towing. In terms of pulling, braking, stability, and efficiency it is far superior to my Cherokee with a 4.0 and factory towing. I credit a lot to the 6 speed manual and always being able to be in the correct gear. I do question long term durability, but I'll find that one out in the future as I only have 50K miles on it. I think that the X3 is too often dismissed as not being towing capable. Looking forward to a diesel X3 that would be even more fun.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The BMW hitch is only a class II & pushed to the limit. Your "3500" pound load is very likely underestimated. Published weights of boats are often only the hull without motor or other loads. Recalculate your weight including: hull, motor, fuel, batteries, anchor, all equipment, stowed gear, etc. Trailer weight probably doesn't include brakes(don't ever consider a trailer without brakes unless you are only towing a light load). Expect problems with excessive weight on the rear of the car and be prepared to adjust tongue loads by moving the trailer axle(s). Consider also that your passengers and their belongings can easily weigh 1000 pounds. Braking distances will be dramatically increased.

Get a class III hitch. Any trailer place or car dealer can install the wiring to operate the trailer lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts