BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to work this morning, pulling out my garage, I get an idrive warning for all four tires being low. I thought it might be a TPMS malfunction since it was all four. Drive did feel a bit mushy on the highway but then again, I never drive in [Comfort] on the highway and the TPMS warning forces you to stay in that mode. Drive didn't feel that off so I continued to work In an effort to get there on time.

I guess this is pointless until I actually use a tire pressure gauge to confirm but has anyone else had this and the tires were not actually the problem?

If it was one or even maybe two tires but all four... Jeez, I hope someone didn't slash me up... Gotta love RunFlats lol.

· Registered
3,629 Posts
I had that happen to me a week or so ago just as I pulled out of my neighborhood. Like you, I thought all four tires being "low" was a bit odd. There's a light I always get stuck at 0.1 mile down the road, so I figured I'd go that far then reset the system (can't do it while in motion). I reset it, and all four tires were green again. I decided it was a malfunction and not worth worrying about unless I got the message again. I haven't gotten a notification since and the car drives as before, so I'm not concerned.

· Registered
351 Posts
I got the same warning that all four tires were low. Got nitrogen filled and everything was fine although the tire shop said only two needed air. During the fill, I found one of the tires had a bubble and I scheduled a service appointment to have the tire replaced. The next morning, I get warnings again saying the rear right tire was low. Luckily I had the service appointment and they found a nail in the rear right and replaced that tire as well.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
My first thought was a temp drop, too. Other than that situation, no, I've not experienced that. I'm a bit of a nut about periodically checking my pressure (couple times a month, usually), TPMS or not.

· Registered
351 Posts
I'm a bit of a nut about periodically checking my pressure (couple times a month, usually), TPMS or not.
I'm the same way with good reason. I was able to get 30k from rears and 45k on the fronts from the last set of Pirellis on my 7er.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Other than someone slashing my tires, my next logical explanation was, too, the temperature. While it did drop (not significantly, though) I have seen larger delta temps without a TPMS warning.

Anyways, after work, I got back to the car and it still showed low pressure. Resetted the system and it went back to normal.

Southern, embarrassed to admit, but I do not check my pressure regularly. Only if there is a TPMS warning and even then it would have to be recurring. I have no clue what pressures i am running at lol.

Thanks all!

· Registered
3,629 Posts
Southern, embarrassed to admit, but I do not check my pressure regularly. Only if there is a TPMS warning and even then it would have to be recurring. I have no clue what pressures i am running at lol.
Congratulations, your actions mimic my level of mechanical prowess lol. Okay, I'm not that useless, but I admit that I am limited and welcome computers' abilities that make my life easier. :)

As an aside, last weekend when I was waxing my car I decided I'd take the wheels off to give them a good thorough cleaning and subsequent coat of wax to help keep them clean with minimal effort. I go into the workshop, get the big jack and four stands, place them in the vicinity of the wheels, and then remembered I needed to find the reinforced area to jack it up. Pulled out my manual, found the spots, saw the funky little protrusions that I assume the jack fits into, and realized my trust 'ol jack want the right tool. My dad took a look and said to use the jack in my trunk. Without thinking, I open the trunk, and the second that annoying manual lid pops open, I have my second "oh sh!t" moment as the blind obedience faded and was replaced by the RFT/lack of a jack realization. The manual says that these tools can be obtained from your service center. At this point I said screw it and went on with the my normal routine, though slightly bummed.

I completely understand BMW not wanting (or expecting) their (average) customers tinkering with these machines, but the inability to jack up the car for the most basic task caught me off guard. My dad's a mechanical engineer, so he's pretty well versed in the mechanical aspects of cars and has always enjoyed doing most maintenance and repairs himself. I know the fact that he can't tinker with my Bimmer kills him a little bit. My point is, I have learned enough to change a tire or my oil (not this car, obviously). I may not be a fan of such manual labor, but it at least made me feel a little less useless. I get the motivation to undertake a simple, unnecessary, anal chore like waxing wheels, and BMW slaps me on my wrist and says, "Don't touch! Just swipe your plastic and go relax in our lounge, have a cup of coffee, or buy another car." I guess it was a tad naïve to expect anything else from the BMW ownership experience or to think that owning this car would improve my automotive mechanical skills and result in abrasions on my knees and dirt and grease on my hands.

That's my soapbox speech the for the week, and the result of a long, boring trip home from a wedding :) I guess if this is the worst part of the BMW ownership experience, then I can't complain :thumbup:

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If I wanted to check my own pressure, I would get a Jeep Wrangler.

Kidding aside, I'm just too lazy to get a gauge.

Good thing my wife ordered her X6 with the spare tire, which comes with the proper jack. Fits into those reinforced protrusions like a gem. Used it when I plasti-dipped my wheels

Southern, could you have used a block of wood in between the jack and jack point?

· Registered
3,629 Posts
Fits into those reinforced protrusions like a gem. [...] Southern, could you have used a block of wood in between the jack and jack point?
Those protrusions looked like they were designed lock-and-key style, and, presumably, the point of the "lock" is that it prevents use sans the proper "key." The MacGyver route passed through my head, but I decided if I was going to do it, then I'd do it right and get a jack. God knows the damage potential, and I don't think I could take the humiliation :rofl:

My wheels still look perfect, and I'm not having trouble with spots that I can't get off with my regular washing, so I'm probably not going to worry about it until I have a less OCD need for a jack. I wonder if I could ask them to take my wheels off, wash and wax them, and the put them back on in exchange for never using their complimentary car wash. I think that would be a fair trade :angel:

· Registered
237 Posts
Mine triggered about 2 weeks ago - all 4 tires.

And it was right, all 4 were low (equal numbers).

I think the door jam wanted 38psi, which I feel is a little high and makes the ride even rougher (poor roads + 20" wheels = ouch).

I put them all at 34.

· Registered
344 Posts
Our previous 5 series did this all the time, particularly during the change of seasons. I never really liked resetting the system since it seemed "not the right thing to do". But we did it anyways and never had an issue. My wife's Range Rover recently did this, and it was indeed accurate in detecting low pressure. Finally got tired of skirting the issue and finally got an air pump, gauges, etc. Now it won't be a debate!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.