Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum so I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered. So while driving my TPMS warning light came on in addition to warnings of being only to drive a few miles on runflats etc. The vehicle status showed my drivers side front tire was the one in question. However, the readouts in vehicle status showed all tires at 34 and the one in question was at 33.6 psi. So I took it in to the dealership real quick thinking I had a pending flat, but the employee just equalized all air in all tires and they now all read 30 psi, stating with a quick visual check that there was no issue with the tire (I don't think he was a technician though). I checked the air pressure myself and they all read 31-32 psi on all four tires 24 hours later.

Was this some false alarm?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Certainly sounds like it was an electronic hiccup! Good move getting to the dealer to have it checked out. One other suggestion - most people have a smartphone handy: Take a picture of the "ALERT" - it'll be worth 1000 words! Last point - that inflation pressure seems low for most BMWs - you should be sure your tires are inflated to the correct PSI noted on the driver-side door pillar. RFTs do not take kindly to low inflation and are likely to be damaged by potholes.

·
Retired Fed
694 Posts
Did you try hitting the reset button on control panel? That should have cleared the warning message, then you can check all 4 tire pressure and reset tpms.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I checked the air pressure myself and they all read 31-32 psi on all four tires 24 hours later.
Keep checking every 24 hours for a few days, you might have a slow leak.

These are nice to have in the trunk.

Pencil Style Air Gauge - Red with White Letters.

Accutire 12 Volt Air Compressor with Auto Shut Off and Light.

http://http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/category.jsp?category=Tire+Inflation

50 miles of driving on a run flat tire with low pressure can ruin the tire.

Temporary tire repair, use a tire plug.

http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=ki&gclid=CJnJmbvf0MwCFUdbfgodRCgJDg

Final Permanent tire repair.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77

·
Registered
312 Posts
Inflate the tires to the correct pressures per the door sticker and then reset the TPMS system. Just follow the instructions in the manual.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
certainly sounds like it was an electronic hiccup! Good move getting to the dealer to have it checked out. One other suggestion - most people have a smartphone handy: Take a picture of the "alert" - it'll be worth 1000 words! Last point - that inflation pressure seems low for most bmws - you should be sure your tires are inflated to the correct psi noted on the driver-side door pillar. rfts do not take kindly to low inflation and are likely to be damaged by potholes.
+1

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
That seems a little strange that all of your tires are at the same PSI; definitely check the owner's manual or door pillar. As others stated, bad road conditions are hell on low PSI RFT's. Also, I am surprised that you got a warning. I am not sure why, but the system is usually programmed to not alert the driver of low air pressure unless one tire is specifically an outlier.

I personally check the pressure daily via at least via idrive. Bad roads and rapidly changing desert temperature just got me in the habit. I recently thought my car was driving a little flat. I checked PSI and they were all reading low (32-33 PSI when should be 35/39 in front/ back); yet I did not receive a warning. Service center determined the issue was two-fold--both the sensors has to be adjusted and air was needed in all four tires. Then, two days later, I realized the car was driving more than a little off. A couple minutes later, the "pull over slowly" warning came on and I found on-board system was reading front-right at 27. The SA said the on-board system in generally pretty reliable but does not hurt to have secondary device to check PSI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts