BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my car put on aftermarket wheels and I don’t think he did anything about the tpms sensors which of course caused the light to turn on. He gave me the original rims and today I put the oem wheels with the sensors back on. Then I cleared the codes, reset the system( or at least I think I did) and went to go test it. After 10 minutes the tpms inactive warning came on. I scanned the codes and this is all it gave me:

Image1623371775.728609.jpg

It’s possible I didn’t reset the system right. I don’t have idrive so I don’t know how to properly reset it. Other than that, what else can I try?

Owning a BMW is always interesting

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
887 Posts
Are they the correct sensors?
it’s possible the RDC module is dead. It’s common in E90 and the previous owner probably didn’t know since he didn’t use it anyways.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they the correct sensors?
it’s possible the RDC module is dead. It’s common in E90 and the previous owner probably didn’t know since he didn’t use it anyways.
Probably should’ve checked before I got the tires put on. I also initiated the reset procedure correctly this time but it failed and gave me the same warning. How can I determine if the module is dead?

·
Registered
361 Posts
If your sensors are over 10 years, the batteries might be shot. Most tire shops have a tool that can check the battery level without unmounting the tire.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your sensors are over 10 years, the batteries might be shot. Most tire shops have a tool that can check the battery level without unmounting the tire.
If they were dead, wouldn’t that trigger the wheel electronic fault codes?

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,400 Posts
The previous owner of my car put on aftermarket wheels and I don’t think he did anything about the tpms sensors which of course caused the light to turn on. He gave me the original rims and today I put the oem wheels with the sensors back on. Then I cleared the codes, reset the system( or at least I think I did) and went to go test it. After 10 minutes the tpms inactive warning came on. I scanned the codes: [604E] ...
Also is this the part in question? [The questions are: (1) What is the BUILD Month/Year of your E92? The system changed completely with 2010 Models, effective 9/1/2009 build date & later. (2) WHAT Pressure Sensors are in the Wheels? The guy you bought it from probably has NO CLUE, and the odds are the guy that installed those sensors didn't either. o_O See the "Fault Information sheet" linked below, which suggests you have the WRONG Pressure Sensors in whatever wheels were installed when the "604E" code was saved. ]...
If they were dead, wouldn’t that trigger the wheel electronic fault codes? [Yes, if one Pressure Sensor Battery were "Dead", you should get a specific fault code for that wheel. "604E" is NOT such a specific wheel code. See Below. ALSO, Read your Owner's Manual paragraph regarding "Check Control". If your "Tire Low" warning light(s) are appearing on the Instrument Cluster, there will be a small, yellow Triangle with "!" in it. That means if you use the "Check Control" procedure, you can learn what wheel has the low tire (if the issue were a single Sensor as opposed to a system fault). Table of "CC-ID" codes is found in Bentley Manual at end of Maintenance Section.]
BMW Fault Code Lookup provides the Following Definition for "Hex-code 604E", and if you click on the Link "View" at the end of the row, you will see DETAILED description of possible causes, incorrect brand/ part# of wheel sensors being most likely:
604ERDC: RDC systemrdc_60Tyre pressure controlView

I assume from your other thread started a week ago that the car in question is a "new to you" 2007 328xi E92? BEFORE spending a nickel on ANY parts, I would try to get an invoice from the PO for the tire shop replacement of original Pressure Sensors. SURE, he's going to have that, RIGHT?.:rolleyes:

So then you remove a valve core, break the bead with a piece of 2x4 (DON'T dismount the tire or you will have balance issues) on the outside for ~ 90 degrees either side of the metal valve stem, reach in and remove the small bolt holding Sensor to the the valve Stem, don't drop anything inside tire, and remove the sensor for Mfr. & part# identification. It's a SIMPLE procedure (the 2nd or 3rd time you do it ;-). Don't assume the part is correct. Let us know what you find.

Any tire shop should be able to tell you if each wheel sensor is transmitting a signal and the frequency of the signal. Problem is the "Simple" system used on 2010 and later models uses the same frequency but a different signal, as there are NO Transmitters in each wheel well on the "Simple System". I have NO IDEA if a tire shop can tell you if you have correct signal from each sensor, for YOUR system, whatever the build date.

The part you asked about is NOT the "Simple System" RDC Module", although it looks the same. Your RDC Module SHOULD be in the trunk, and the code you provided does NOT identify any specific component fault, other than the wheel Pressure Sensors generally (Type/Brand). The part you linked is the "Antenna" mounted beneath the vehicle on the early system. One again, NO indication there is anything wrong with the Antenna, OR the RDC Module, whatever build date of your vehicle.

I would encourage you to get INPA and ISTA (Free download and intstall to Windows Laptop). Attached is a pdf, "E9x References, 210523 Revision, that contains links to a LOT of helpful sites. There's a LOT of "Faux Facts" on the Web. Bentley & ISTA are reliable sources. NOTHING is "Error-free" or "Idiot-Proof" but they are as good as you can get.

George

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BMW Fault Code Lookup provides the Following Definition for "Hex-code 604E", and if you click on the Link "View" at the end of the row, you will see DETAILED description of possible causes, incorrect brand/ part# of wheel sensors being most likely:
604ERDC: RDC systemrdc_60Tyre pressure controlView

I assume from your other thread started a week ago that the car in question is a "new to you" 2007 328xi E92? BEFORE spending a nickel on ANY parts, I would try to get an invoice from the PO for the tire shop replacement of original Pressure Sensors. SURE, he's going to have that, RIGHT?.:rolleyes:

So then you remove a valve core, break the bead with a piece of 2x4 (DON'T dismount the tire or you will have balance issues) on the outside for ~ 90 degrees either side of the metal valve stem, reach in and remove the small bolt holding Sensor to the the valve Stem, don't drop anything inside tire, and remove the sensor for Mfr. & part# identification. It's a SIMPLE procedure (the 2nd or 3rd time you do it ;-). Don't assume the part is correct. Let us know what you find.

Any tire shop should be able to tell you if each wheel sensor is transmitting a signal and the frequency of the signal. Problem is the "Simple" system used on 2010 and later models uses the same frequency but a different signal, as there are NO Transmitters in each wheel well on the "Simple System". I have NO IDEA if a tire shop can tell you if you have correct signal from each sensor, for YOUR system, whatever the build date.

The part you asked about is NOT the "Simple System" RDC Module", although it looks the same. Your RDC Module SHOULD be in the trunk, and the code you provided does NOT identify any specific component fault, other than the wheel Pressure Sensors generally (Type/Brand). The part you linked is the "Antenna" mounted beneath the vehicle on the early system. One again, NO indication there is anything wrong with the Antenna, OR the RDC Module, whatever build date of your vehicle.

I would encourage you to get INPA and ISTA (Free download and intstall to Windows Laptop). Attached is a pdf, "E9x References, 210523 Revision, that contains links to a LOT of helpful sites. There's a LOT of "Faux Facts" on the Web. Bentley & ISTA are reliable sources. NOTHING is "Error-free" or "Idiot-Proof" but they are as good as you can get.

George
Thanks for the info, I already have a balancing issue (go figure) so when I take it in, I’ll see if the shop will remove the tire enough to see the sensors. I still have my e60 sitting around so just to rule out the possibility of the module going bad, I’ll swap the modules to see if anything changes

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
887 Posts
Looking in the trunk under the spare tire only takes a few minutes with minimal effort. You’ll know if it’s been wet pretty fast

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody know the part number? The ones fcp is showing me will fit cars from 3/2007. My build date is 10/2006. Realoem says the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 10 of 10 Posts