BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2009 335i xdrive and when I got the car it had a TPMS malfunction error on the idrive system. The reset option is grayed out so I can not reset the system. I took it down to a local tire shop and had them scan the TPMS sensors and they informed me that the sensors would not read for 2009 model but when they used 2008 info they worked fine. My car was built mid 2009.
Did these sensors change for 2009? Looking sensors up online they usually say 2007-2010. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
BMW changed TPMS systems in the E9n series about mid-year 2010 production. Frequency is the same, but protocols changed.

Per Tire Rack:
"BMW TPMS sensors have changed for 2010 3 series BMW car models.
Friday, January 14, 2011 by Gary Stanley
BMW changed the tire pressure monitoring sensors (TPMS sensors) in 2010 to a different type than the one previously used in 2007-2009 3 Series models.
They are not cross-compatible. If you have wheels from a 2007-2009 BMW 3 Series car and would like to use those wheels on your 2010-2011 3 series BMW, you'll need to purchase the newer sensors.
Fortunately, these sensors are available at a low cost from Tire Rack. Sensor-only orders need to be placed by phone."​

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your sensors seem to be the right vintage for your car. There is a central antenna(RDC control unit) that picks up the signal that my mechanic said is in a vulnerable spot and gets salty/wet/screwed up easily. I needed that replaced last year, and my individual monitors worked just fine. You would need a BMW guy to diagnose and fix that, not a tire shop. It was under 300 to fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I had all sensors checked again. I believe the RDC is bad. Located it in trunk. If I replace the RDC do I have to get it programmed to the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts