BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when BMW switched from the 'old' TPMS to the new? I have an early 2011 (10/2010 in-service date, I think the build was around 05-2010), so it has some of the LCI features, but not all of them. I'm trying to determine which TMPS I have, without having a tire pulled.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
If your car is model year 2011 it should have the new sensors since 2011 model year is when they were introduced on the X5. When you sya your car does not have all the LCI features, which are missing? If it's around iDrive then it may warrant clarification with a friendly dealer part department or vendor who specializes in these things (i.e. http://www.bavarianx.com/BMW_HUF_TPMS_Tire_Pressure_Monitor_Sensors_BERU_s/62.htm

My pre-LCI late production 2007 650i (July 2007) has some of the features that became available on the 2008 LCI models, so I can relate to this cautionary approach. Weird how BMW does that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your car is model year 2011 it should have the new sensors since 2011 model year is when they were introduced on the X5. When you sya your car does not have all the LCI features, which are missing? If it's around iDrive then it may warrant clarification with a friendly dealer part department or vendor who specializes in these things
I have the LCI tail lights, fascias, 8-speed transmission, HD-based iDrive, etc, but don't have:

Combox
LED coronas

My TMPS doesn't show pressures on the iDrive (I'm not sure if any E70's do).

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
If it were my car I would run it by the guys at the site I gave link to and purchase sensors from them IF they agree to replace them in case they guess wrong.

Another option is to go to the dealer. The parts department should be able to tell you based on your VIN.

Lastly, you could go to a tire shop and have them remove the sensor from one wheel, take the part number and whatever stampings are on it, put it back on and order based on that. All they have to do to remove the sensor is break the tire / wheel seal in that area. They don't need to remove the entire tire and rebalance, so it should be fairly cheap.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Does anyone know when BMW switched from the 'old' TPMS to the new? I have an early 2011 (10/2010 in-service date, I think the build was around 05-2010), so it has some of the LCI features, but not all of them. I'm trying to determine which TMPS I have, without having a tire pulled.
The build date is on the door sticker, or you can find it from the VIN. Then it's just a matter of either using realoem or contacting your dealer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The cutoff date is October 2010 or later has the new tpms.
Same for the 5 series in Oct 2010 same changes were made to the sedan including combox.
I don't know if the tpms sensors changed from old style to new, but what I do know is they changed to 433mhz signal.
I just bought a new set from a place in Sarasota Florida for $154

·
Registered
210 Posts
The cutoff date is October 2011 or later has the new tpms (and off topic ) combox.
Same for the 5 series in Oct 2011 same changes were made to the sedan.
I don't know if the tpms sensors changed from old style to new, but what I do know is they changed to 433mhz signal.
I just bought a new set from a place in Sarasota Florida for $154
I think you mean October 2010 build date.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know tire shops like discount tire here in Southern California can tell you what sensors you have. From October 2010 build date on bmw switched to 433mhz. The tire shop can scan your tpms

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.