BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Im a newbie here with my 2005 645ci, I try to get new wheels for my car from Tirerack, here a question:
What happen if I running the wheels without tpms, beside the center message, does it make any ......sound or annoying problem? I can live with a warning light but I will piss if its keep making noise.
Please let me know if anyone here running the wheels without tpms.

·
Nerdy G
908 Posts
shudnt b any issues besides the fact you wont know when you have a flat.. But why not change the sensors?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The only issue is that you will have the warning lights about low pressure and the chime. If you can live with that then by all means go ahead but not sure why you would want to take away that feature. Why cant the new rims and tire fit the sensors?

·
Nerdy G
908 Posts
The warning system in that car is beyond annoying and god forbid you have a passenger they think the car is falling apart. Big warning message on the idrive for everyone to see and the beeping.. I would never, everything needs to run perfect i dont even like the low fuel message lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
I didn't think that the pre mid 2006 6's had TPMS, but instead had FTM, which was a system that detected a flat based on the rotation of the wheel.

My guess is that you don't have sensors in your tires and that you can make a change without issue. That's why they ask you at tirerack about rubber or metal stems - all FTM's are rubber stems as I recall (since no sensors).

I think I'm right about this, but would be well for another to weigh in and either confirm or give better wisdom.

- zesty

·
Registered
482 Posts
I didn't think that the pre mid 2006 6's had TPMS, but instead had FTM, which was a system that detected a flat based on the rotation of the wheel.

My guess is that you don't have sensors in your tires and that you can make a change without issue. That's why they ask you at tirerack about rubber or metal stems - all FTM's are rubber stems as I recall (since no sensors).

I think I'm right about this, but would be well for another to weigh in and either confirm or give better wisdom.

- zesty
You are incorrect my friend... My 2004 has TPMS and so does every other E63/64 6-series. Just get another set of TPMS stems for the new wheels/tires and you will be OK. I saw a set for about $130... OR, you can just transfer the existing TPMS stems from the old tires to the new ones.

Good Luck.

By the Way... Your color is so sick ZESTY!

EDIT: I was incorrect here... My 2004 is FTM and NOT TPMS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Blaze,

Thanks for your reply and kind words (and your black and red is quite sweet too!).

We may be mincing words - as you are correct - all 6's do have a form of Tire pressure monitoring. This said, the pre-2007's (including some very late 2006 models) appear to have FTM (Flat Tire Monitors) according to my research, which monitors based on wheel spin. That's why the stems are rubber. The 2007+'s have an actual sensor in the valve which communicates with the car and thus use the metal sensors.

I did some research and did come across these posts, which may be of some helpful reference:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3166278&postcount=12

and

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/11...-Questions?p=11441619&viewfull=1#post11441619

A simple way to tell in your car if you have FTM or TPM is to either go into i-drive and see if you can reset the "FTM" or "TPM" OR to check your valve stems if you have the original factory setup.

All this said, my research may not be worth a grain of salt, as Blaze has a 645, so he does have first hand knowledge. I can confirm my early model year 06 does have FTM. Some Later year 2006's did get TPM Sensors in the wheels and then TPM Sensors became standard in 2007, from what I've been told.

-zesty

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
+1 on the above post.

There is no point guessing what you have, check iDrive to see if you have FTM or TPMS. For whatever reason you might have a set of wheels mounted with the metal valves and TPMS sensors but that does not mean your car is communicating with those sensors.

For what it***8217;s worth, my Jul-2006 production 650i has FTM (ie no sensors). Maybe TPMS was an option on the pre-2007 cars?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big thanks to everyone, I live just 1.5hrs away from tirerack, I even offered send in my sensors OR drop them off, .......dont work out that way for tirerack I guess, btw, I tried to save +/- $300 (what i thought), but if its $130 then I will get them for sure.
Yes, my car is 2005 and it does have TPMS :cry:, Im an old school, I dont really care or need them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Zesty is 100% correct. 2004 and 2005 E63/e64 simply monitor the rotational speed of the tires to determine if one is losing air. The metal stems and sensors inside the wheels are NOT part of the 2004 and 2005 BMW 6-series and therefore you do not need sensors inside of your wheels.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My 04 645ci is FTM
Holy Crap! You are absolutely right. My car is FTM. I could have sworn I had TPMS. My bad guys for the erroneous information. This is actually EXCELLENT news for me as I was about to purchase additional TPMS stems for the new set of rims...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts