BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Members:

I own a 2007 328xi with sport package, I've just hit 84K. The previous owner of my car (I bought it with 47K) had switched out the original run-flats for 4 Nokian WR G2 (225/40 18). I've been happy with these tires, they're awesome in Connecticut winter conditions. I plan to replace them - question: is it necessary to do a TPMS sensor "rebuild"? The car is 5 years old, some people say that the sensors are good for 10 years. I've had no problem with the TPMS. Please advise.

Thanks,

Alan

· Flying monkey herder
8,298 Posts
a rebuild kit is only new gaskets and washers-- typically not needed unless the valve is removed or leaking.

a whole new sensor is about 50-80 each.

· Banned
10,511 Posts
I own a 2007 328xi with sport package, I've just hit 84K. The previous owner of my car (I bought it with 47K) had switched out the original run-flats for 4 Nokian WR G2 (225/40 18). I've been happy with these tires, they're awesome in Connecticut winter conditions. I plan to replace them - question: is it necessary to do a TPMS sensor "rebuild"? The car is 5 years old, some people say that the sensors are good for 10 years. I've had no problem with the TPMS. Please advise.
What recommended that?

· Registered
2,510 Posts
When we replaced our tires recently my tire dealer (who I trust) recommended rebuilding the TPMS sensors for $8.50 each. At that price I did't over think and just went with their rec. They always put new valve stems when replacing tires as well.

· Flying monkey herder
8,298 Posts
When we replaced our tires recently my tire dealer (who I trust) recommended rebuilding the TPMS sensors for $8.50 each. At that price I did't over think and just went with their rec. They always put new valve stems when replacing tires as well.
the "rebuild" kits are almost pure profit. a new valve core and a rubber gasket. no new stem, no new sensor.

· Registered
2,792 Posts
It is normally recommended when replacing the tires, the rebuilt kit is the valve and hardware, not the TPMS itself, there is a rubber seal that does not crush well the second time that I would do as they are 5 years old .

· Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,447 Posts
Same here. My indy quoted $4 per sensor for the new gaskets/cores and suggested their being changed with the tire, as he was pulling the cores to deflate them. Tire Rack said the same thing. I had them replaced.

· Registered
10,963 Posts
Greetings Members:

Thanks,

Alan
The rubber grommet (air seal) on your TPMS is now five years old. The rebuild kit contains a fresh replacement, and I would recommend doing this as another 2 - 3 years is too much IMO. Even BMW says that our tires shouldn't be used beyond 6 years!

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info on the ion battery. I'll get the "rebuild" gasket kit (for the tire valves) when I get the new tires installed. Hopefully, I won't have to worry about replacing the TPMS sending units until the new tires have been used up.

Has anybody out there had the ion batteries fail in a 2007 or newer?

· Registered
10,963 Posts
Thanks for the info on the ion battery. I'll get the "rebuild" gasket kit (for the tire valves) when I get the new tires installed. Hopefully, I won't have to worry about replacing the TPMS sending units until the new tires have been used up.

Has anybody out there had the ion batteries fail in a 2007 or newer?
There have been a few posts of apparent battery failures for 2007 vehicles. I'm not entirely sure that these reports weren't due to TPMS damage from tire mounting/dismounting or contamination/clogging of the unit. Nevertheless, Beru stated battery life of 5 - 9 years IIRC. I've heard of 10 yrs. on the upper end. Certainly the '07 models will be the first to go, and we can expect battery life failures to fall into a 'normal curve' for age at failure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.