BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

TPMS Sensors - new for 2013!!!

7608 15
All,
Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up. The TPMS sensors for 2013 cars (at least 5-series) are different than the 2012 sensors. In other words, the 2012 sensors will not work in the 2013 cars!

I found this out the hard way...
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
That's very interesting. Does anyone else have any data about this? Is it the brand of the sensor or different technology? Do you now have a marker in your iDrive for which wheel is low?
???? i bought my sensors from tirerack 3 months ago and they appear to be working fine in my 2013 535xi.

How do you know its not working in your car? Did you reset the TPMS sensors when you put the new ones on?

Alan
The display isn't any different from when I had the wheel/tire set that came with the car. I suspect that they just changed the frequency...
The sensors that I had in my wheels came off a 2012 550 and did not work in my car when I reset the TPMS system. I'm still at the dealer, but he indicated that the part numbers of the TPMS sensors are different between 2012 and 2013.
Where did you buy your sensors?

Did your car still show the tpms warning after you reset it to the new wheels?

I am pretty sure when i bought my sensors from Tirerack they sent me the same sensors that the 2012 F10's uses. I believe they were either made by Bosch or Beru but they work in my car. All i had to do was reset the tpms sensor and all the warnings went away.

Alan
I will take a look at the part numbers when I get the sensors back from the dealer. I bought the sensors as part of a wheel/tire take-off package from someone on bimmerpost - he said they came from a 2012 car.

I know that the sensors changed in September 2010, so I guess it is possible that the wheels are older; however the tires that came with the package had a mid-2011 manufacture date on them, so I would tend to believe that the previous owner is telling me the truth...
So no matter what you couldn't get the warning to go away on the dash? even after resetting?

Keep us posted...

Alan
Yep - warning wouldn't go away and I tried resetting it multiple times - after about 20 minutes of driving, I received the 'malfunction' error message.
Any testing with the 2012 TPMS sensors back on?
Yep - warning wouldn't go away and I tried resetting it multiple times - after about 20 minutes of driving, I received the 'malfunction' error message.
OK - here's some information. The TPMS sensor part numbers that go with the 2013s is: 36 10 6 856 227. I looked these up on the realoem website and it appears that they are valid on cars from 9/2010 (just as we thought). However, I looked up the part number that I took off the wheels that were not working - 36 10 6 790 054 - on realoem and the website indicates that this part is good from 9/2010 through 12/2011. I'm not sure why there is an end date on this part number. As such, it does not appear that this is just a 2013 change.

In any case - Alan L - that explains why your TPMS still works.

BTW - there is no difference in functionality with these sensors.
I wonder if this could be the root of the great TPMS coding mystery.

Is there any way to tell the part number without pulling off the tire?

FWIW
DLM
I'm wondering the same - I have not attempted the coding of TPMS, btu I was going to - Anyway we can confirm if the TPMS sensors part number matter?

if they do, I may be able ot buy the OP's TPMS if they will work on my 2012 and get him out of a bind so he can get the new ones for 2013?

tk
I wonder if this could be the root of the great TPMS coding mystery.

Is there any way to tell the part number without pulling off the tire?

FWIW
DLM
Well, I I ended up placing an order for the 36 10 6 856 227, turns out that you need a valve stem for these also as its two part numbers to get it working proper; I will likely have them in next week, and will install and tested (fingers crossed no returns!)

Thanks for posting that info about the part number etc, make it easy to find ones that *should* work!

tk
From what I have read the new TPMS sensors 36 10 6 856 227 work from 2013 back to 2011, all F10's

However the earlier part won't work on 2013's.

36 10 6 856 227 supersedes earlier part number.

Correct?
Anything your ever wanted to know about TMPS part numbers and crossover dates...

http://www.31inc.com/tpms.pdf
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.