Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2012 SDrive i28. The only thing I've noticed so far is I get a Tire Pressure Monitor malfunction that sporadically shows up. In researching it seems like the TPMS (maybe called the RDC) sensor could be bad. The manual has some directions in the image below. I can't tell what they mean by "
Release rear lower bumper panel". Is that the outer bumper or a part inside the trunk or ???

Anyone ever replace one of these? I'm also going to reset my TPM to see if the error goes away but wanted to post this and get started on finding it.

Trying to upload the image but it's not working for some reason. Anyone know how to attach a photo? I used pasteboard to house the image. Here is the URL to it if it won't embed directly.

https://pasteboard.co/HjNrn9B.png

·
Registered
96 Posts
We just had the sensors replaced in my wife's 2012 35is Z4. It would sporadically give the TPMS sensor malfunction as well. The service department has a system that can check them individually (since these are not tire specific like the newer ones). When they tested the battery strength, two of them were weak and the other two marginal. I believe the battery life is supposed to be roughly seven years. You are definitely at that as well if they are the original sensors in any tires.

Fortunately, my wife's car is a CPO and we only had to pay a single $50 deductible for all four sensors. You may or may not have that luxury, and I think the sensors are around $80 each plus you would have to pay to have the tires remounted and balanced. If this is your issue and you don't have warranty, you could wait until the next time the tires are off for something else and only pay for the sensor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info. Really appreciate it. I need a new set of rubber, probably Conti's. I'll talk with the local tire stores to see if they will mount new sensors when the put on the new tires.

I assume they are the original sensors and yes, the picture was the primary sensor unit. Most of the research I've done points to it but I didn't realize the wheel sensor had batteries in them so makes sense that they could be reaching end of life.

I looked for a CPO when I bought the one I have but just didn't find anything that got me excited so paid less and went non CPO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts