BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am 720william I had 18in chrome wheels and tires and new TPMS put on my 14 bmw and the sensors do not work the idiot light keeps coming back on I reset it with the idrive but it keeps coming back, took it back to tje tire place they said it was the metal in wheel HELP if you can This is my first BMW

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our F30 (your chassis code) 3 Series forum. Where did you get the TPMS sensors from for the new wheels? Maybe they're not compatible with your car's TPMS system?

Tim

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,762 Posts
Hi I am 720william I had 18in chrome wheels and tires and new TPMS put on my 14 bmw and the sensors do not work the idiot light keeps coming back on I reset it with the idrive but it keeps coming back, took it back to tje tire place they said it was the metal in wheel HELP if you can This is my first BMW
Don't all wheels have some type of metal in them?

Sounds like they may have put the wrong sensors into your wheels but don't want to admit it. BMW has had several different sensors for the tire monitoring systems over time. You should be able to find out which sensors they sold you and then do a bit of googling to see in which models they work. Then you can go back to them and have them replaced with the correct sensors.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
+1 on the tire store installing the wrong TPMS. Not all TPMS will work even if they operate off the same frequency. 2014 BMW uses VDO or HUF/Beru, and even though they operate off the same frequency you cannot interchange on your BMW because of the different sensor control unit. You can identify from the last ones you had or from your VIN through the dealership or some places on line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tpms

thank you for all your input bought tpms on line and won'tdo that again . will go to dealer to have new one put in

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Sorry to hear. You should be able to sell the incorrect sensors to someone who needs them for their car so it is not a total loss.

Tim

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,886 Posts
BMW branded service includes a two year parts and labor warranty. Hopefully a bit of BMW knowledge and experience too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tpms

thank you for all your input bought tpms on line and won'tdo that again . will go to dealer to have new one put in

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
well, it's not necessary to go to the dealership. You just need to know which sensors you need. The bottom line is you need to know which sensors you actually need, before you get them. I have bought TPMS from online sources and have had them installed at Costco and NTB/Merchants/Tire King, and have had no issues.

·
Registered
410 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts