BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Robbins Racing
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a little history on the car, it was wrecked in the 13 hour charge of the headlight brigade at VIR. It's sponsored by UUC, Bimmerworld, and Eurobahn Motorsports. I started this restoration on 1-11-09 and completely finished it 2-19-09, I was rushed quite a bit to have it ready for CMP. If you saw it there not doing so great, it's because the front steering rack and tie rod assemblies weren't installed until 2-19-09 and there was no time to corner balance or set it up correctly. I'm working up a whole DIY, but it's epic long already and I'll only post it on here if I get several requests for one. So, for now I thought I could treat you guys to just a few pics of the project. Enjoy!

Not all of the sponsor stickers were on in the last pic, but it just needed to get to the track. If anyone has any questions feel free to post them in my thread instead of PM's for others to view. For all of the pics for the project, here's the link http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/rcrobbin/projects/?start=all.
Thanks!
Corey Robbins.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
Thanks for sharing Corey. Looks nice. BTW, I'm just down the road in Asheboro. Would love to come up to Greensboro to see your car and shoot the BMW breeze sometime. Send me a PM if you're interested.

·
Robbins Racing
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I forgot to specify that the track car isn't mine, but is a close friend's that paid me to do the work. If you want to shoot the breeze, there's a local triad car club (Autosport NC) that I'm a moderator in. You can check out the site here-http://www.autosportnc.com/forum/index.php?referrerid=56 we meet every Thursday, go to all local car/track events, lots of BMW's, professional photo shoot's monthly, and helpful/nice guys.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Dude that's awesome! Nice one Corey!

·
Robbins Racing
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments. I got the doors, trunk, and fenders for free from his parts car. He bought the M3 bumper from DDM and took almost 2 weeks to get in, even after he had called them and asked if they were in stock and could be shipped ASAP. It took around 300 hours total time involved and $600 in paint. He said it would've been fine to do just a crappy 1 stage, but I went all out with 2 stage. I used Diamont for the alpine weiss iii, hellrot and cosmos came from automotivetouchup.com, master pro 8900V clear. I put a lot of clear coats on it (4) for the added protection, but it didn't atomize well since it was kind of cheap which resulted in a lot of wet sanding and buffing. For future reference, I wasn't that impressed with Diamont. I've heard good things about it, it sprayed great, but the color just didn't have the vibrancy I was looking for and had bleed through issues (no I didn't over reduce it). Honestly, I wish I had more time to prep and paint the car, but I was on a deadline and that rear quarter gave me hell for about 3 weeks, and I painted it in about 3 days then had to piece it back together. Still, it's a track car, and the paint job is good enough for racing. On a side note- it did win 1st in it's class last weekend at CMP.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
wow that looks sick.

hey robbin do you want to paint my car too?!?!? :D :D :D :D

·
Robbins Racing
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I've started my own little painting services. If you're in the NC area and need one, I recommend scheduling it with me. I've got an E30 M3 w/ E36 M3 motor swap coming in next week which will be a high dollar mint PPG job that's going to take about 1-2 months. I am fairly cheap on my prices, usually a whole car for ~$1,000, dent's are a little extra, but overall area people can't beat my quality and price so I've been getting a lot of future work lined up.

·
Registered
570 Posts
damnnn brooo. if you dont mind.. can you please writeup a detailed DIY on how to paint a car...

You dont have to make it extremely detailed... But today i found a brand new spray gun sittin in my garage behind some old boxes. Im gonna probably paint my grampas 1985 toyota pickup truck and if it comes out good... I might paint my E36 but we'll see about that lol

·
auto>manual swap crew
365 Posts
nice!....you guys gonna be at the tarheelscc event at CMP next month? if so ill be there

oh and btw...I haven't been able to get on autosportnc for a LONG time..it keeps telling me page load error/address not found

I just assumed they shut down the website

·
Search Button Upper Right
2,234 Posts
Corey... :jawdrop:

Thank you for sharing that project with us, it is truly Legen........... wait for it........... dary!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts