BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting prepared for the event next month and I was wondering what those of you who track your M Roadsters use for brake pads on the track...

Mike

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Mikelly said:
Getting prepared for the event next month and I was wondering what those of you who track your M Roadsters use for brake pads on the track...

Mike
First time out, stock pads as long as they are pretty new.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
:stupid:

And when you find you need pads, I have been running Turner Motorsport Cool Willy pads on my E46 M3 with good luck. ANd you can drive them to/from teh track so you can change at home and drive the car to/from a hotel during the weekend. A bit more dust (maybe even more than stock) sometimes a bit of squeal, but not bad. And I have not had problems with the dust causing problems on teh wheels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't my first time out, and I've got about 22 years worth of track and HPDEing under my belt fellas...

Shenandoah Circuit is hard on brakes and I suspect the stockers will fade before the end of the first session...
Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mikelly said:
This isn't my first time out, and I've got about 22 years worth of track and HPDEing under my belt fellas...

Shenandoah Circuit is hard on brakes and I suspect the stockers will fade before the end of the first session...
Mike
I moved from OEMs to Hawk HP+ on my M Coupe and found them an improvement, with the advantage that I also ran them on the street. More dust and a bit of squeal, but the convenience was worth it. Next set will probably be Hawk Blues, which I'll have to change before driving to the track.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
corgicoupe said:
I moved from OEMs to Hawk HP+ on my M Coupe and found them an improvement, with the advantage that I also ran them on the street. More dust and a bit of squeal, but the convenience was worth it. Next set will probably be Hawk Blues, which I'll have to change before driving to the track.
I'm considering Hawk Blues or HT-10's as a track pad. I've seen a lot of people mention the HT-10's here, but from what I've read on the Hawk website, I'm leaning toward the Blues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I trailer mine to the tracks I go to, so I'm not as concerned about that... I used the Hawk HT8 (replaced by the HT10) on my C5 corvette and loved the initial bite and wear. They were a little hard on rotors, but not bad like some of the reports I've read about the wilwoods...

Maybe I'll try the HP+ at first to see how they do...

Mike

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
The HP+ can overheat and the CF goes to near 0. NOT a good thing, especially on the Shennandoah where there is little runoff in many places.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HT10's it is then!

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My chief concern is that those brake pads will cook off on the Jefferson Circuit, which is known for being hard on brakes... http://www.mazdadrivers.com/mda_photos_videos.htm
Scroll down to the Shenandoah circuit to see some incar of the course... LOTS of tight corners...

And I am not using the stock pads... No way, no how... At VIR in my previous car I was seeing 125mph on the uphill esses on the full course... Most people aren't getting above 110MPH... I'll spend a few bucks on the pads and some GS610 fluid. :thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
cwsqbm said:
I'm considering Hawk Blues or HT-10's as a track pad. I've seen a lot of people mention the HT-10's here, but from what I've read on the Hawk website, I'm leaning toward the Blues.
I put 3 track days on the Blues this weekend, and I think they were an improvement over the HP+ pads. I'm satisfied with them for my skill level, and I felt more confident coming into 10A at Road Atlanta.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My chief concern is that those brake pads will cook off on the Jefferson Circuit, which is known for being hard on brakes... http://www.mazdadrivers.com/mda_photos_videos.htm
Scroll down to the Shenandoah circuit to see some incar of the course... LOTS of tight corners...

And I am not using the stock pads... No way, no how... At VIR in my previous car I was seeing 125mph on the uphill esses on the full course... Most people aren't getting above 110MPH... I'll spend a few bucks on the pads and some GS610 fluid. :thumbup:
Mike
My chief concern would be running my street car without a cage through some esses at 125mph...

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
VIR uphill esses have LOTS of runoff. Now screw up south bend it it could hurt, big time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which is why I'm building this: http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z Select the New Zcar Projects Folder... It's off being painted right now and having ZG flares installed...:thumbup:

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Those make great club racers...looks like it will be a pretty one too. Just remember not to put tire dressing on those wheels...lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts