BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
Choices, choices. Do I buy nice new track wheels and keep my type 44s for everyday driving OR.... do I buy nice fancy wheels for everyday and use my type 44s for the track?

Ideas?
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Are you getting R Compounds?

If so, I think the 44s are the best looking wheels, use them on the street and get something else for the track. SSR Comps?

You can't use the same rims on your M3 though, right? different offset?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nate328Ci said:
Are you getting R Compounds?

If so, I think the 44s are the best looking wheels, use them on the street and get something else for the track. SSR Comps?

You can't use the same rims on your M3 though, right? different offset?
Not getting the M for now Nate, things are not so hot in the aircraft industry so it's a bit risky buying a big dollar item like the M.

Yes, R compound most likely Toyos. I'm looking at SSrs but don't know if I want to spring that much cash for track wheels. Most likely BBS RKs or RX.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:


Not getting the M for now Nate, things are not so hot in the aircraft industry so it's a bit risky buying a big dollar item like the M.

Yes, R compound most likely Toyos. I'm looking at SSrs but don't know if I want to spring that much cash for track wheels. Most likely BBS RKs or RX.
True, the SSRs are about $100 more per wheel than the BBSs. I doubt such a slight weight difference would be that important, you aren't club racing. Might be wise just to save your money. I also think the RX looks much better than the SSRs
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:


Ya I was looking at 17X8... what would I gain (besides save money) with 16s?
Should be lighter and cheaper. Also, the tires would be cheaper.

SSR makes a 16x8 Competition, but I don't think there are any E46 offsets. It is 12.1 lbs, I believe.
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
in_d_haus said:


Not getting the M for now Nate, things are not so hot in the aircraft industry so it's a bit risky buying a big dollar item like the M.

Yes, R compound most likely Toyos. I'm looking at SSrs but don't know if I want to spring that much cash for track wheels. Most likely BBS RKs or RX.
BBS RKs are LIGHT and very nice looking. Raffi's running a set with, ahem, punctured michelins right now and I picked up his wheel/tires, and they're AMAZINGLY light.

And they're not nearly as expensive as SSRs I think. Rumor also has it that Turner motorsports had to throw out like 20 set of SSRs because they were all bent. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
The HACK said:


And they're not nearly as expensive as SSRs I think. Rumor also has it that Turner motorsports had to throw out like 20 set of SSRs because they were all bent. :(
I don't know about #s, but one of the guys at the track day I was at back in May had just gotten a set from Turner, 2 blue and 2 yellow. He said they were the only ones that were still round. :dunno:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top