BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reviewing my new 328i insurance policy through Mercury Insurance, and noticed that our BMW Assist is NOT considered as a "tracking device", thus no discount. I purposely did not install lojack since the BMW Stolen Vehicle Recovery Program comes with the car. Anyone got discount from their auto insurance because of the BMW Assist?

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
I know every state is different but here in MA I get the max discount on my comprehensive (35%) because of BMW Assist. It is considered a Class IV anti-theft device, same as LoJack.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I was reviewing my new 328i insurance policy through Mercury Insurance, and noticed that our BMW Assist is NOT considered as a "tracking device", thus no discount. I purposely did not install lojack since the BMW Stolen Vehicle Recovery Program comes with the car. Anyone got discount from their auto insurance because of the BMW Assist?
Hog wash! ...or it least depends on your insurer. Living in LA, my car could end up in Mexico in a little over two hours. My insurer, Farmers, did give me a discount due to the tracking capability after I provided them with evidence of the BMW Assist. Of course you have to renew this feature after the "free trial" period. I would certainly strongly pursue this with your insurance company as the BMW Assist is probably AT LEAST as good as lojack in locating your car if it is stolen. Insurance companies! Ugh.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know every state is different but here in MA I get the max discount on my comprehensive (35%) because of BMW Assist. It is considered a Class IV anti-theft device, same as LoJack.
my insurance comp didt and im in mass igot liberty mutual they are super good but no discount that suck

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
my insurance comp didt and im in mass igot liberty mutual they are super good but no discount that suck
If you have BMW Assist, go to your insurance company and ask to apply for an Anti-Theft discount. They don't usually grant the discount automatically--you have to show them the device is installed in the vehicle.

·
Mace
817 Posts
The significant difference between LoJack and BMW assist is the power source. Disconnect the BMW's battery and BMW assist does you no good. Lojack has a self-contained backup battery so it will continue to beacon even after the car's battery is disconnected. Whether or not to count BMW assist the same as LoJack is up to the company.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't recall exactly how I got this stolen vehicle recovery certificate, probably from my CA. It was all my insurer needed to give the discount.
Yes, this is the certificate that was provided to me by my CA as well. I faxed in a copy of this to my insurance company and they gave me a discount for the highest form of anti-theft device on the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Who cares- If someone wants to steal your car, they will, and once it is stolen, would you want it back?

More importantly is to have replacement/depreciation coverage, and low deductible.

I dont know where everyone lives, but here in Chicago, and when I lived in NY, the odss of getting your car stolen, are about the same as winning the lottery.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I live in CA and I am insured by Mercury. I had a leased 328i with LoJack that I have since returned and replaced with a 335i without. I got the same discount on both cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the BMW Assist is probably AT LEAST as good as lojack in locating your car if it is stolen. Insurance companies! Ugh.
You've gotta be kidding, all any idiot car thief has to do to disable BMW assist is to lob off the sharkfin, or cut the battery, which they all know to do. Lowjack works on an entirely different level. Forget the fact they can't find it to disable it, lowjack is accurate enough that, a police-tracked low jack signal inside a garage constitutes probable cause and allows the police to enter private property to recover your car whereas the bmw assist does not.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
No insurance discount in PA from State Farm for BMW assist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts