BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm plannign a track day weekend with MazdaDriver's at Summit Point on September 9/10 in the little "m"...

What are you track day guys doing, and what brake pads are you running?

Also, Brake bleeding... Any special funky sequence? Or can I just start fromt he furtherst corner and work forward?

I"m sticking with the stock tires that are on the car, Bridgestones...
Mike

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Nothing special about bleeding the brakes. Furthest corner working forward. The DSC and ABS will retain some fluid, but if you're tracking the car, you'll be bleeding it often enough to not worry about it.

Brake pads... I assume you want dedicated track pads? Lots of choices. But on street tires, first time out in the car, you might be just fine with stock pads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mikelly said:
So I'm plannign a track day weekend with MazdaDriver's at Summit Point on September 9/10 in the little "m"...

What are you track day guys doing, and what brake pads are you running?

Also, Brake bleeding... Any special funky sequence? Or can I just start fromt he furtherst corner and work forward?

I"m sticking with the stock tires that are on the car, Bridgestones...
Mike
They are allowing a vert? I cannot find a place to run mine.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
There are several ways to do a convertible. SUmmit Point has Friday at the Track which allows them. Try P-car club and Miata clubs.

As for "bleeding" the brake,s you should FLUSH the fluid, which is similar, but you run more fluid through the system to ensure that most of the old fluid is gone. Suck out the fluid from the resevoir first and fill with fresh fluid then do a good bleed until you see fresh fluid. It normally take me about 3/4 of a quart to do a flush.

ATE Type 200 is fine. I don't like Super Blue because 1) it stains everything blue over time, and 2) at least person has had the brake system warranty voided due to using it, 3) it is not DOT spec so not really street legal, even though it is actually the same fluid as Type 200, but with blue dye.

If this is your first track day, don't worry about pads, stock will be fine. Once you find yourself getting some pad fade, then move up in pads. I run Turner Cool Willy pads on my M3 at the track. They work well and you can drive them to/from the track. But lots of good choices.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips... I've done well over 100 track days over the last 20 years, so I'm aware of stock tire limits vs. running on hoosiers or Victoracers...

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.