BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to trade in my 2013 335xi which is fully loaded. It has every option available. Nothing was spared. Original cost of the car was $56K+.

The dealership won't budge on a trade in value of $24Km and it seems very low.
KBB has it listed at over $26K at "Good" condition and $29K for "Very Good"

The car only has 23K miles on it and has been maintained very well. No scratches or dings on the car. Tires will need to be replaced soon and the rims may need some buffing. If I do this myself, then the cost will be about $1,700.

It's frustrating that these dealers won't negotiate at all.

Thoughts on tactics?

I'm considering keeping the car, but I really want to get back into an SUV (X3 or X4).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Go to a different dealer or sell it private party.
That's pretty much the answer summed up in one line.

Dealers are in business to make money. If you car is worth between $26K and $29K, then the dealer isn't going to buy it from you for those amounts. The dealer has expenses when they buy a car from you. Registration transfer expenses, document expenses, bookkeeping and accounting expenses, "safety inspection" expenses, mechanical inspection expenses, insurance expenses in case it gets stolen / smashed / vandalized, sales person commission and / or salary expenses, etc etc etc. It's a business and a business is there to make money and turn a profit. All the items I listed above are going to be required whether your car has 23K miles or 230K miles. The latter would incur even more expenses, hence a lower trade-in value.

You say the dealership offered you $24K ? And it needs new tires and some wheel buffing that would cost you $1,700.00 if you did it. So really, the dealer is offering you $25.7K. Which is $300 away from the lower end KBB value (which, let's not forget, KBB is a nearly completely useless figure because a vehicle is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it). I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the offer doesn't seem all that bad ? :dunno:

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are in SFBay area, have you tried Shift ?
I am sure you will get pretty good value if selling via craigslist. However don't expect more than $30K.
That car in SFbay area will mostl ikely go for $28K to private party.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like I should go for a private sale in order to maximize the sale price.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very good point. I would likely save about $1500 in sales tax if I trade in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How does this sales tax saving work ? Does it work only if you buy another from them you pay tax on difference of price ?
If you wish to just to take the check, you loose that tax advantage . CA tax on $24K is almost $2K (~9%)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
How does this sales tax saving work ? Does it work only if you buy another from them you pay tax on difference of price ?
If you wish to just to take the check, you loose that tax advantage . CA tax on $24K is almost $2K (~9%)
So you buy a car for $50K let's say. The tax would normally be applied on that $50K. If you trade a car in for $30K, then your "new" car only cost $20K (original price minus the trade-in value of your current car). Therefore, tax is only applied to the $20K vs the original selling price of $50K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts